Ripwave, Irishbroadband

munsterman25

Am considering getting the above

The ripwave satellite option fron Irishbroadband.ie. 18.99 per month

what are peoples experiences?

Be aware that RipWave is not satellite broadband. It is a form of non satellite wireless broadband. The advantages of RipWave are the relatively low cost (€18.95 p.m.), no installation/signup charge, no fixed contract (can be cancelled at any time with 30 days notice and returned in first week without charge if not satisfied), plug and play setup (my sister in law installed it at the weekend without having to call me which was great! :)). The cons are the alleged poor performance in some circumstances (see the boards.ie broadband forum for lots of gripes about almost all ISPs!), the relatively low speed (512Kbps down/128Kbps up) and high contention ratio (40:1). However if it's available in your area and you would like to try/evaluate broadband for the first time and expect to be a relatively light user then it could be worth giving it a go. I was thinking of getting it for a month or two to give me cover in case of broadband outages in May when I intend trying to switch from UTV (via eircom - as required...) to Smart and I can see there being a period during which I will have no ADSL broadband...

What about Digiweb. Anyone have any experience with them?

They have an offer of 2mps for 29.99 per month plus 30 euro installation. Does the mothmly fee include line rental?

I doubt that Digiweb bundle line rental with their DSL products for €29.99 p.m.

Forgot one other pro of RipWave - no external antennas/equipment (like Breeze).

Is Smart not available to you? €35 for 2Mbps broadband including "free" line rental.

YEs smart is avaliable would you recommend

would I have to switch to smart telphone then aswell thouhg and hence change my phone number????????

I am living in Cork city centre where you would expect to be able to get ripwave. I mailed Irish broadband after checking their web site. They said I could get it. So I rang to order. They said I couldn't get it. After talking to a friend I rang Irish broadband again and they said I could get it. So I gave credit card details etc and made the order. About a week later they rang to say I couldn't get it. About two weeks after that they rang to make an enquiry about my order.
That has been my ripwave experience!

Back