Ripwave from Irish Broadband

Just the One

Does anyone have it? Is it any good? €18.95 per month for a wireless connection and no need for a phone line... seems like a good offer... just wondering if there is a catch?

Might be worth checking for user feedback on boards.ie. I've used IrishBroadband Breeze (external antenna) in the last two jobs and while we had some problems with service reliability (volatile throughput and availability) it has been holding up well in the current job.

Hi

Yes, I've used Ripwave - its a bit hit & miss to be honest, although I live close to the edge of a signal footprint, to be entirely fair.

I had a lot of problems with it when it was first installed, although recent months have seen an increase in reliability (although I think, in return for sacraficing dowload speed s)

Past experience with their support has been poor, although one of my main problems here was with the lack of availability (on hold for 10-15 minutes in the past) & opening times, for phone support. I think steps were taken to address these issues to be fair & I've not had reason of late to call them, so can't comment on more recent experience.

It's nice to see a company reducing its prices, although I suspect thats down to competition offering cheaper services / more efficient services perhaps ?

Clubman

Interesting to read your having good experience with their Breeze product, what are the speeds like, do they flutter etc ?

Am I correct in thining you must be in a direct line of sight, to avail of this service ? (do trees, buildings etc cause problems, or is it really referring to mountains etc ? :))

Cheers

G>
http://www.rpoints.com/newbie

Garrettod said:
Clubman

Interesting to read your having good experience with their Breeze product, what are the speeds like, do they flutter etc ?

Am I correct in thining you must be in a direct line of sight, to avail of this service ? (do trees, buildings etc cause problems, or is it really referring to mountains etc ? :))
We are line of sight to one of their Dublin city centre high sites alright. We are on a 3Mbps symmetric link with a contention ratio of 6:1 (i.e. we are guaranteed at least 512Mbps up/down but we generally seem to get the lot so maybe there are not many users sharing the link yet). We have had a couple of outages in about 7 months which were down to routing problems inside or at the edge of their internal infrastructure and nothing to do with the wireless aspects of the setup. On our previous Breeze setup (in another building and on another high site I think) we seemed to have more variability in performance.

Back