Rip off puncture repair €14

O

oulu

Just got tyre fixed in Advance pitstop 14 Euro they wanted , said now they have to balance wheel or something and now they also patch rather than plug, I complained got it for 10 Euro in the end, rang their head quarters to complain but this is it so be warned

Re: Rip off puncture repair €14

No as I always get it done there close to the job , last year I had a punchure cost 8 E so did not even croos my mind , but will from now on

they said in head quarters that their main rival is the same price

If you didn't ask for a price in advance or shop around then I don't see how you can legitimately complain about being ripped off to be honest.

oulu said:
and now they also patch rather than plug

I would hope they do. Plugging punctures has been considered unsafe for quite a long time based on my experience (that of growing up working in my dad's garage - something I haven't done for over ten years but I doubt it's become any more safe in the interim)

Is it because you had wheel balancing done as well as the puncture replaced? If so, sounds reasonable to me.

Only asked for repair, like to going to the pub asking for a pint and also getting a vodka that u did not want but have to pay for. I am not typical Irish person I do complain there and then not to friends after like most Irish do and that is why I got 4 Euro off the guy himself thought it was a rip off, so for this year lets all complain when the need arises

Before complaining we should all ask for a price for the job in advance and shop around if necessary.

agreed but you dont ask the price of the pint everytime you order this was a turn a round of a few weeks , before xmas 8 E after 14 E, estate car also now 18 E in the dump gone up over 80 % since the start of 2005 and they wonder why some people dump all over the countryside not me though always to the dump me good

oulu said:
agreed but you dont ask the price of the pint everytime you order
I usually check the price list in a pub before deciding to buy.
this was a turn a round of a few weeks , before xmas 8 E after 14 E,
It still makes sense to check the price since, as you found out, prices do increase.
estate car also now 18 E in the dump gone up over 80 % since the start of 2005 and they wonder why some people dump all over the countryside not me though always to the dump me good
What has this got to do with the puncture repair crowd?? :confused:

doesnt sound too bad. Personally know a girl who got ripped off by a garage in Castleblayney three weeks ago. went in with a puncture and was charged €40 for puncture and balancing two wheels. now that is a rip off. and she says they were condescending to her ie garage owner to one of his staff ' make sure that car is pointing in the right direction for this wee girl as shes going home to Dundalk' I know what I would have told him.

Hi ClubMan

I don't think it's necessary to check the prices in a pub or the price of a cup of tea in a coffee shop. If the pint turns out to be expensive, you will probably have paid 20cents or 50cents more than you expected. You can move on to a cheaper pub afterwards.

I would always check for a more expensive item like a puncture repair, but if I had had a repair job done recently, I would not check a second time.

Brendan

In the UK I could get a cheapo (non remould) new tyre, fitted & balanced for 28 UK pounds. Prices in Ireland are overly high for this kinda thing. I also used a scrap yard - get a used tyre on a rim for a fiver :D - why buy new?

As Mary keeps saying, shop around. I got a set of non-remoulds a little over a year ago for €35 each.

I never said it was necessary to check pub prices but when I go to a pub that I've never been in before I will check the prices. And if I don't I certainly would not go around moaning to others about being ripped off.

quarter: I got 4 firestones for corolla fitted and balanced for €185 about two months ago. was quoted €240 in a different outlet for same tyres.

Back