Ringing from Abroad

divadsnilloc

If I make a call from abroad to Ireland, will the recipient hear a different ringing tone? I know the opposite applies if somebody rings you if your away where the caller hears a different tone?

I'm getting undertones of someone on holidays who may be off sick!!!!!!

If you make a call FROM abroad to ireland, the recipient will hear his/her normal ringing tone from their phone. It's YOU the caller who may hear a different ring tone!!!!

No they won't hear a different ringing tone. But they will hear the sounds from around the swimming pool so go into a quiet room when making the call

If they have caller id they could catch you out as well. This sometimes works and they might see 001 453 **** for example.

I'm probably missing something fundamental here.

When YOU call someone, the "ringing" sound you here is not the physical sound of their phone ringing -- it is a tone generated by the phone network. If you ring someone abroad, the foreign phone network may generate a different tone.

When YOUR phone rings with an incoming call, the sound is generated BY YOUR PHONE. How could it change for a different incoming number?

(Yeah, yeah, I'm old enough to remember when the ringer on the phone was a physical bell and I realise that's not the case anymore. And yes I know fancy phones can have different tones based on incoming caller id, but this doesn't sound like what the OP was asking. By and large the sound the recipient hears is their phone's analogue of the old bell ringer ... not something generated by the phone network and therefore not dependent on where the caller is calling from).

If they have caller id they could catch you out as well. This sometimes works and they might see 001 453 **** for example.

Caller id will usually give it away. Even if it is a private number, it can look a little different (well, it does on my phone anyway).