Right of Way to Property and Sale?

Twinkle11

Hi,

I inherited my parents home when the passed away, which is on a 1 acre site on part of a farm, with a shared access road to 2 other houses. From what I can see on the land reg, maps etc, the part of the road I would use is owned as part of the surrounding farm (family member) so if I sell the property do the prospective owners get any right of way to access it? I'm being told that there would be a large 'payout' required to grand any new owners access via the road!

Oh the joys of inheritance and family!!

Any info appreciated

This is a complicated issue and the question will need to be addresed to your solicitor. generally if the current/former owners of the property had an established right of way, this would also pass on to any new owners.

@Twinkle11 Even superficially what you have been advised is incorrect.

If you have a value in mind why don't you approach that family memebr and let him (it could be a she) and say that you now understand what he meant - as in he wants to buy. Show me the money !

Also is it land registry or registrty of deeds?

@Twinkle11 Even superficially what you have been advised is incorrect.

In my opinion the opposite is true.

OP should approach their solicitor firstly to make sure the ROW is not already registered. After that the solr will give the options and the relative costs.

Back