Right-Of-Way Questions

W

wxman61

We bought a house a few years ago that shares a right-of-way with a neighbor. We have had no issues with the right-of-way until recently when another person bought the adjacent property. He informed me that he was going to move his fence to the property line. The problem is there is a right-of-way that is defined as extending 10 feet either side of the property line. The right-of-way was actually the road to the original house on our property. In addition, the right-of-way allows access to an outbuilding on our property. Part of the fence is already blocking the right-of-way.

Another issue is that a section of his fence and a large gate, while on the right-of-way, are actually located on my property. We had no issues in the past as the previous neighbor kept the gate unlocked. However, the new neighbor locks the gate blocking access to the right-of-way and a portion of my property.

1. Can he legally move his fence and block the right-of-way as well as access to my outbuilding?

2. Can I legally make him move the portion of his fence and gate that are on my land?

Thank you.

This is an Irish site ....... by your location it's unlikely you'll get an appropriate answer here.

Back