Ridiculous question about charades?

S

swordshead

Yes i know i should have more to be thinking of..but hey! I was playing charades with some mates, as ya do over the xmas and the programme Casualty came up! To settle an argument..how many syllables does this word have? I know its not the most probing question facing the world now...but its wrecking my head!

Following the help in

I only make 2

( using the vowel and jaw drop tests )

3 vowels, but two together count as 1 so total 2 vowel sounds = 2 syllables
Jaw drops - 2.

Dunno what do others find ?

( initially I would have thought 4 ca-su-al-ty but thats obviously wrong now)

Ye see..a simple game of charades..with waay too much vodka..ended up with "right..casualty has 2 syllables not 3..its my house right..end of game"!! I said 2 ,my friend said 3 and someone else said 4...i just want to know if i was right or wrong!

*yes am waay too stubborn for my own good*

If you split the word: CASUAL has three syllables (cas-u-al) plus the ty makes four overall...

According to this there are 4 - which is what I would have thought as well!!

Swordshead, Fr Dougal must have written that wordcalc programme - there cannot possibly be only two syllables.
Any chance it's US English pronunciation or something - "ka-zhool" (from the land of "burglarized", "envisioned" et. al. )?

Any chance it's US English pronunciation or something - "ka-zhool" (from the land of "burglarized", "envisioned" et. al. )?

You forgot the 'Teee' at the end.

Whatever, I'm going on how it's pronounced by everyone I've ever heard and that's with 3 syllables.

No-one has ever pronounced it caj-u-al-tee within my earshot.

You forgot the 'Teee' at the end.
Oops! "ER"?
Whatever, I'm going on how it's pronounced by everyone I've ever heard and that's with 3 syllables.

No-one has ever pronounced it caj-u-al-tee within my earshot.
I'd pronounce it like that although the second and third syllables would be subtle.

What about "usual" then?

Do people say Yoo - Zhul (I doubt it) or Yoo - Zhoo - al ?

"Casual" IMO works the same way - which makes "casualty" a 4 syllable word of course

What about "usual" then?

Do people say Yoo - Zhul (I doubt it) or Yoo - Zhoo - al ?

"Casual" IMO works the same way - which makes "casualty" a 4 syllable word of course

I agree with your definition for 'usual' and 'casual'.

Maybe it's the accent, or the speed at which different people speak that would have a bearing on it.

ClubMan, like you said, it could be the subtlety in the pronunciation.
Maybe if I heard you say the word, I may think you used 3 syllables whereas you 'know' you used 4 ?!