Ridiculous question about charades?

S

swordshead

Yes i know i should have more to be thinking of..but hey! I was playing charades with some mates, as ya do over the xmas and the programme Casualty came up! To settle an argument..how many syllables does this word have? I know its not the most probing question facing the world now...but its wrecking my head!:D

Following the help in

I only make 2

( using the vowel and jaw drop tests )

3 vowels, but two together count as 1 so total 2 vowel sounds = 2 syllables
Jaw drops - 2.

Dunno what do others find ?

( initially I would have thought 4 ca-su-al-ty but thats obviously wrong now)

Ye see..a simple game of charades..with waay too much vodka..ended up with "right..casualty has 2 syllables not 3..its my house right..end of game"!! I said 2 ,my friend said 3 and someone else said 4...i just want to know if i was right or wrong!

*yes am waay too stubborn for my own good*

If you split the word: CASUAL has three syllables (cas-u-al) plus the ty makes four overall...

Swordshead, Fr Dougal must have written that wordcalc programme - there cannot possibly be only two syllables.
Any chance it's US English pronunciation or something - "ka-zhool" (from the land of "burglarized", "envisioned" et. al. ;))?

Any chance it's US English pronunciation or something - "ka-zhool" (from the land of "burglarized", "envisioned" et. al. ;))?

You forgot the 'Teee' at the end.

Whatever, I'm going on how it's pronounced by everyone I've ever heard and that's with 3 syllables.

No-one has ever pronounced it caj-u-al-tee within my earshot.

You forgot the 'Teee' at the end.
Oops! :eek: "ER"? :)
Whatever, I'm going on how it's pronounced by everyone I've ever heard and that's with 3 syllables.

No-one has ever pronounced it caj-u-al-tee within my earshot.
I'd pronounce it like that although the second and third syllables would be subtle.

What about "usual" then?

Do people say Yoo - Zhul (I doubt it) or Yoo - Zhoo - al ?

"Casual" IMO works the same way - which makes "casualty" a 4 syllable word of course ;)

What about "usual" then?

Do people say Yoo - Zhul (I doubt it) or Yoo - Zhoo - al ?

"Casual" IMO works the same way - which makes "casualty" a 4 syllable word of course ;)

I agree with your definition for 'usual' and 'casual'.

Maybe it's the accent, or the speed at which different people speak that would have a bearing on it.

ClubMan, like you said, it could be the subtlety in the pronunciation.
Maybe if I heard you say the word, I may think you used 3 syllables whereas you 'know' you used 4 ?!

Back