Ride-on mower: Husqvarna 17.5 or Rally 20 HP ?

dubinamerica

Need to purchase one of these pretty quickly and have looked at Castelgarden, Rally, Husq mostly. Have been told that John Deere and Castelgarden, have similar engines and have a timing belt which may cause probs. Also told that Husq and Rally have similar engines.

Right now can get a 17.5 HP Husq for 3K and can also get a Rally 20HP for the same price. Husq has metal body, both have tow hitch, mulcher, hydrostatic drive. The rally has twin cylinder engine for that size HP. I don't know whether the Husq has twin blades, but Rally does ..

Husq seems a little "sturdier" , with nicer seat, but price isn't down much on ticket price whereas Rally price is a good bit off.

Any recommendations???

Re: Ride-on mower: Husqvarna 17.5 or Rally 20 HP ??

Is the Husq a rear shute or side shute. I also looked at a husq, but the lower priced ones were side shute and not nearly as effective as rear discharge ones. In the end i got a Castlegarden 190HD (18.5 HP) cost €3.5k, included hitch and mulching kit. List price is €4,200. Very happy with it so fra, but early days yet.

Secman

I had a Husq. Desparate trouble with the battery going flat and engine drinking Oil. In the end it packed up after 4 years. Bought a Mountfield recently in B & Q and it seems quite good. Depends on size of area to e cut and frequency of use.

Pretty sure it's a rear chute as we'd heard some of the others can be problematic alright. we've approx an acre and it's at different levels - one part would be very flat, other would have more of a slope and feel more like a field really. would be cutting grass regular to keep on top of it during the summer.

I think both mowers have mulching kits included and are the same price - 3K.

Rally is 20HP with a Briggs & Straton engine , Husq is 17 (or possilby 17.5) with a kohler engine ..

I have the Husq 17.5 with the Kohler engine and I must admit it's a dream to cut the grass with. My garden is also on split levels and it has great power for getting up those hills. Where the battery is concerned I haven't experienced any problems yet but you can buy those jump kits fairly cheap in aldi or maplin(about 30 euros) you plug it in charge it up overnight and the charge lasts for a long time and it pumps wheels as well. I'm quite happy with mine anyway.

think my husq is 18.5. bought it for 3000 new last year. not 1 ounce of trouble. Trouble free grass cutting..... would def recommend...

great, thanks for the feedback on this ! Thinking of going with Husqvarna, though the 17.5 is priced at 3K right now .. might be able to get that down or see if they will throw in a trailer, as seems a little pricey if a 20HP was bought for the same. Looking forward to getting this and freeing up so much time !!

I went north last year and bought a Honda 17.5hp with mulcher etc for just over 3k. With the exchange rate now you should get a good deal

I'm told that Honda are the best.

should have added. mine has a mulcher and a cover for keeping it dry - all for €3k. I can recommend the shop that i bought it in if thats any good to you?

that would be great if you could pass on the name and location. if you could either post it here or pm it to me that would be great. thanks for all the input !! Now that we've finally decided to get the ride-on though, it hasn't stopped raining !!

Back