Ride on Lawnmower

There is some discussion on ride-on lawnmowers in this thread on but unfortunately there's not much in the line of a recommendation.

I saw one on display in Woodies, Tallaght recently and it seemed to be on special offer but unfortunately I cannot remember the price. They do not appear to have it on their site either http://www.woodiesdiy.com/woodies/default.asp?shop=woodies (Woodies)

Up the road from you in B&Q Swords, they have a MTM ride on with 11.5hp Briggs and Stratton side discharge for about €1300. Thats about the cheapest I have seen.They have another one with central discharge for €1800, same motor. Don't know much about that brand, they look ok though and it will be delivered to your house and you get some basic instruction how to use it.

We have a ride-on with rear discharge, which works really well, and have heard that the ones with side discharge are a nightmare and are prone to clogging?

Cheers Fingalian,

Popped up to Q&B this evening, two models on display as mentioned:
MTD RS115/96B €1,248
MTD RH115B €1,898

More info available on their website......
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/category/category.jsp?CATID=8090020

delgirl, heard the same thing about the side discharge.B&Q recommend the central discharge model if you have 'difficult' grass, I suppose by 'difficult' they mean if you let it get too long or it is not fully dry when you cut it.

Found another one in the latest Arro catalogue

Partner P1192 - €1,795

[broken link removed]

In my experience you should buy the best ride-on you can afford,not just the cheapest. I was in the same position as you 3-4 years ago and bought the cheapest available,a Hayter 13.5hp 36" cut for about £1800. I bought a one year old 20hp twin cylinder Honda 48" cut last year (bagger and mulcher) and there really was no comparison,well worth the extra money,escpecially if you need to collect the grass.

Agree with Nod. I biught a Bolens 13 HP Tractor mulcher 5 years ago for € 3 k. It's an excellent machine but I would give serious consideration to a "rider " mower the next time as the cutting decks are mounted on the front which gives much more flexibility around trees , edges etc. The Husqvarna website will give you a good idea of what I'm on about http://www.ie.husqvarna.com/

I looked at the front riders before,if I was to buy a dedicated mulcher this would be the type of machine.However,the tractor mowers are more adaptable,with most now you can bagg,mulch or even side-discharge. With mulching you really need to cut ever 5-7 days,sometimes this is not possible,so the option to bag is a good one. You can get a good 15-17HP 40-48" deck Oleo-Mac,Husquvarna,castlegarden,honda,etc. for about €2500-€3000. I also have a John Deere LTR180,mulch and collect,17hp V Twin,42" cut mower which I bought this year for €5000,great machine,I cut other people's lawns also.
Buy the best you can afford,you won't regret it.

Hi All, Sorry about hi-jacking this thread but i have a MTD RH115 ride on lawn mower. Great mower ''BUT'' the collector box (cloth type) has fallen appart :( and I was wondering if anyone might know where I might get a replacement. Thanks in advance Joe

Atkins in cork do a make called Gutbrod. A few guys in work bought them a few years ago and have had no problems at all so I bought one last year (2500 - gave it for 2100 for some reason).

Not the best looking but i'd take reliability every time

A&L machinery donabate co. dublin. Or try the association of landscape contractors [ALCI [broken link removed]] trade members listing. We [the company] only use the stiga range of mulching [no collection of grass] mowers in both push and ride on. If its for domestic use even if its a large private garden try getting a second hand [or new] commercial mower. The longevity of the machine once serviced is second to none. [Despite the cheaper albeit newer versions this for me is the only option] As they say in the trade cheaper is often more tearful than cheerful. Quality is what counts here.

Back