richard farleigh seminar

Z

z106

Anyone at the richard farleigh seminar today in the 4 seasons?

I was there. Thought he was very very good.

Just curious to get other peoples opinions on him.

couldnt get to it but was sorry to have missed it - sounds like i missed a good one.

any insights to share?

Hi Qwerty

Did he learn much from you?

Brendan

He-he!

Didn't realise you respected my opinion so much Brendan

For anyone who has read his book, he basically relayed all that again.

It was very good getting it straight from the man himself though.

He spoke of different seemingly basic techniques he has used to get his slight edge over the market.

he was a guest speaker of delta index.

last year they had mark shipman.

Quite similar to shipman in a lot of respects.

One notable difference was that farleighs talk was very much about what/when to buy based on fundamentals and then uses the market trend to determine his entry.
As in - Buy such-and-such an asset class (e.g. bonds,stocks etc.) when certain economic conditions occur,etc.

WHereas shipman was far more focussed on exactly what to do once the fundamental nalysis has been done.
i.e. Once the asset class has been decided upon, then he focusses on when exactly to buy using moving averages/breakouts,how much to risk,when to exit etc. (So he didn't spend much time on how to determine fundamentral analysis - he basically took up the baton once that has been decided)

SO while the basics were the same i.e. choose an asset class by fundamentals and time your entry using charts; the emphasis was on different areas by both.
So they complemented each other well in that regard.

Curiously - unlike shipman (and a lot of others) - farleigh was not bullish on commodities.

He believes the optimum time to invest in commodities is when inflation is high and economic growth is high.
HE believes the first condition is satisfied but not the second (obviosuly referring to the US/west)

Clearly he believes the dominant force in global economics is teh US for the time being - others commodity bulls clearly believe china and others are/will be the driving force.

Only time will tell who's right i guess.

As for what people should invvest in now, he believes the current economic climate is high inflation - negative growth.(i.e. stagflation) (Again - referring to the US/west - again in my book a case of him reinforcing his belief that the US is the global economy for a while yet)
As a result he thinks this is the most difficult time to make money - so he prewtty much said keep your money in your pocket for the time being.

The current climate in his opinion is similar to the stagflation times of teh 70's

I was sorry to see him gone from Dragon's Den - he was REALLY willing to take a punt on some of the contestants.

I was sorry to see him gone from Dragon's Den - he was REALLY willing to take a punt on some of the contestants.

I'm not so sure about that. I read on some site earlier today that he only invested £136k in total during his time there.

possibly true,but is James Caan a better addition???
dont think so myself.

I'm not so sure about that. I read on some site earlier today that he only invested £136k in total during his time there.

I think that's true but I think over 2 series he made the most offers to contestants.

Give me Richard Farleigh over that mealy-mouthed Scot Duncan Bannatyne anyday!

Richard Farleigh was a PAID guest. He makes more money off personal appearances than investing. Speaks volumes really.

Richard Farleigh was a PAID guest. He makes more money off personal appearances than investing. Speaks volumes really.

I could say with near absolute certainty that that statement is rubbish.

I could say with near absolute certainty that that statement is rubbish.

Agreed, he was listed in the Sunday Times Rich List 2006 as having a personal fortune of 66 million - he didnt earn that much from personal appearances!!!

Qwertyuiop - thanks for the informative post about the seminar.

Correction - He makes more off public appearances including the Dragons Den in the last 3 years than any NEW investment.

Correction - He makes more off public appearances including the Dragons Den in the last 3 years than any NEW investment.

Now that is a different statement alright.

Ok - that may well be true. Obviously I am not privy as to what percentage of his income he makes from where in teh last 3 years.

Nonetheless - your earlier post seemed to have a vibe of "Those who can do, and those who can't teach"

Without question he has been a very successful investor of the markets over the years and has to be respected for it.

Thanks for the overview qwertyuiop
So if Richard telling us to put all our money is in An Post savings account then ?!?
That's not exactly what deltaindex would want is it ?
He is not the first voice to say that commodities are overpriced - in last fridays Irish times one of the business columnists was saying the same.