Rialto Court

T

thegoat

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a one-bed place on my own with a limited budget. Does anyone have any info on the old Guinness flats in Rialto Court? They look nice from pics, lots of character but is the area very dodgy at night? Does anyone know someone who's lived there? Thanks a million!

I live on Cork St which is not too far from Rialto and I love the area. You wouldn’t go around walking on your own at night, but I think that goes for all areas. I have always felt safe, as a young female. Its great being so close to town.

I rented in Rialto Court for a year back in 2000. Pros - Neighbours were decent people. Oldish and never any noise (even if there was you wouldn't hear it with the thickness of the walls). The area is nice enough with shops, pubs etc nearby. Luas next to it now. Close to town. Cons - When we were there Fatima Mansions was around the corner (pretty sure they've been knocked now??) and some VERY dodgy people lived in there. Some other fairly dodgy places nearby (dolphins bars, some areas of Crumlin etc) so night time wanderings on your own probably aren't wise.

I'd do a lot of research on the place etc before buying but I wouldn't be totally put off either. There's a lot going for the area and it's hard enough to find anywhere in Dublin these days that isn't bordered by somewhere dodgy. Good luck!

I live in the dolphins barn area and have done for a long time now, as a single female I have never had any problems at all. The area has lots of regeneration plans, Cork Street has been revamped and there are plans for more regeneration, fatima mansions are gone now. I would suggest you walk around the area in the evening time ( with a friend if you feel unsure) and see what you think, also call in to some of the neighbours, tell them you are thinking of moving in and ask them what the street area is like for break ins, cars etc. good luck

I have a couple of friends round the corner in the cottages and they love the area. Have known people who've lived in those apartments and they had no complaints - very solidly built.

Fatima Mansions' demolition has changed the area a lot. Things are changing a lot for the the better.

New Dunnes Stores and swimming pool in the new development on the site of the flats (Brentwood?); Luas stop beside you; great organic butchers in Rialto; close to the Phoenix Park, Imma, Kilmainham Gaol; etc. etc.

Go down there at different times of day and get to know it - but I think it's a good area for someone who wants to buy centrally on a budget.

(And it's a good time to buy, from what I can make out)