Rhyl, Wales

zag

Long story, but I will be spending an overnight in Rhyl (North Wales) in early November. I will be there with my 5 year old son and without a car, so I am looking for somewhere child friendly and central.

This is the only town I have come across that nobody has reviewed on tripadvisor.com - there is only one hotel review and from the sounds of the location of the hotel, it isn't central and so not suitable for my purposes.

I had a look at the hotels on the North Wales Tourist Board site - http://www.nwt.co.uk and some of them look OK, but I was hoping someone might have some suggestions based on experience there.

z

I can't help with the accomodation but IIRC there was a leisureland type swimming complex there about 20 years ago when I was there if you have a few hours to kill, I'm sure its still there.

Rhyl is awful, very run down and dirty. You would be better off staying the night in Llandudno or Conwy.

Rhyl has come on in recent years - however November will be a bit depressing. If you HAVE to stay in Rhyl then I know people who have stayed in the Grange Hotel in the past and found it ok (i can't guarantee what it is like now though), if you do have the option of staying elsewhere St Asaph is a town very near to Rhyl, not much in it but has some lovely hotels.

Thanks for the replies. I have changed plans and now am going to stay in Conwy instead. I have been to both places briefly and thought Rhyl would be good from a 5 year olds point of view, but some of the reviews here and elsewhere on the web, plus my recollection of the place, plus the fact that it will be Guy Fawkes weekend kind of helped convince me that Conwy would be a better bet. It may not have a fun fair along the sea front, but it does have a cool castle (with a railway station in the middle of it) and other things to keep us busy. Only problem is that the train service out of there on a Sunday is pretty non-existant, so I reckon we will go down the road to Llandudno Junction and get the train back from there.

Cheers,

z

Back