Rgb - Vga

kmelvin

Hi, I'm thinking of getting an LG LCD tv.

I want to hook my laptop to it - but the tv only has an RGB port and pc audio ports - no vga port.

My laptop only has vga - no audio ports.

Will I lose picture quality if I use some kind of a converter? Can someone recommend a small, decent priced converter?

Thanks

The answer is "Maybe", with the right cables. VGA sends out an RGB (Red, Green, Blue), Horizontal and Vertical Sync signal and the TV has 5 BNC for these. It also has S-Video input and a lot of laptops have S-Video out, this is will not give as good a picture as a proper VGA input and normally requires a lot of messing with the Resolution etc, on the laptop.

A seperate Audio imput is required, Audio is not carried with the VGA, S-Video or RGB conectors
I would look for another model with a proper VGA Input.

BTW that TV is NTSC so will not work in Ireland.

Thanks Towger.

I was actually gonna it in Powercity (so should be PAL) - the link I sent was just give a basic idea of the spec.

I'm a bit miffed by this - I would have though connecting such a tv to a laptop would be a common requirement. LG (and Philips as their newer tv's have the same problem) will be losing my business.

I find ebay very cheap for purchasing adaptors etc. They have a very wide range.

The problem is with the Sync speeds. You probably find that the Irish version has a couple of Scart connectors in place of the 5 BNC connectors. You can get a cheap converter (just a lead with the correct plugs) from VGA to Scart on ebay for a tenner, but you will have to play with resolution/sync speeds to get it to work. The more advanced ones have electronics to convert the Sync speed for you, €50 ++. A build in VGA connector would give the best picture.

[broken link removed]

Towger