Revenue contact on fathers death

leinster

My elderly father passed away recently leaving nothing to be done except pay for his funeral which we intend on doing without question. He used the last of his savings for himself and left the house amongst us evenly in our names - well below any tax thresholds. My father's wishes were that my mother remain in the house as long as she's able. I see it being pointless going to a solicitor because there is nothing to be done. We just pay the undertaker and that's that.. Do we need to contact revenue and anything else?

Maybe I should have said he left the house amongst his kids evenly a number of years ago through his solicitor.

Maybe I should have said he left the house amongst his kids evenly a number of years ago through his solicitor.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Your post isn't making sense.

Did your father write a will? Who was appointed executor?

You need to register the death, change anything that is in his name (utilities etc) out of that and either into your mothers or your own name and also work through whatever needs to be done for widows pension and any other social welfare changes. Assuming he was a compliant taxpayer then there will be no issues. You should inform Revenue however just to keep things above board

Sorry for your loss.
Death would be registered I think
house transfer may be left alone as you say there is a life interest.
W

house transfer may be left alone as you say there is a life interest.
W
That's not 100% clear on the OPs post though?

OP says house was put into children's name before father died? As they were married, both parents would have had to sign this transfer.

Is there a separate document registering the life interest?

Did the deceased parent have a will?

There would be a need to file a tax return with the Revenue from 1/1 to date of death. If the surviving spouse was jointly assessed she will now need to register in her name for taxes and file a return. There are widows allowances she will be entitled to and you may well have medical expenses which can be claimed for tax relief or refund

Thanks all. Sorry for the delayed reply. There was no will as everything was taken care of a number of years ago. Enjoyed the fruits of his labour where there was little savings - living well into retirement. No social welfare. All tax compliant down through the years. The only thing left is to change the joint bank account name with the death cert. No medical expenses as far as I can tell. House transferred by both parents a number of years ago.

As your mother is still alive, she is entitled to their joint pension for a further 6 weeks after your dad's passing thereafter your mother will only be entitled to a single state pension.

The joint pension will continue to be paid until the DEASP is informed of your dad’s passing. They will look for any overpayment to be returned.

Theres still a good few things for you to do. I'd gather up all the paperwork and take some time to sit down make out a list.

Thanks all. Sorry for the delayed reply. There was no will as everything was taken care of a number of years ago. Enjoyed the fruits of his labour where there was little savings - living well into retirement. No social welfare. All tax compliant down through the years. The only thing left is to change the joint bank account name with the death cert. No medical expenses as far as I can tell. House transferred by both parents a number of years ago.

I am glad that your Dad got to enjoy the results of his many working years. You have not too much to sort out but it would be good to get issues like bank account, Widows pension and entitlements updated.
Your father's wish to have your mother remain in the house is great but
with a number of owners be sure to have some agreement about maintenance costs, payment of insurance, LPT etc.

Oh yes, not thinking straight. State pension. Therefore I do need to notify revenue.
Citizen's Information provides information on money matters after a death. They say: “When a person close to you dies, it can be difficult to deal with the many things that have to be decided and done at a time of such considerable stress. However, there are issues such as possible social welfare entitlements, tax and other money matters that may need to be addressed.” So you could look at this to see how it applies to you. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...fter_a_death/money_matters_after_a_death.html

Revenue says: “As the personal representative, you or your appointed solicitor must inform the deceased's Revenue office as soon as possible by telephone or in writing.” https://www.revenue.ie/en/life-even...ment/duties-of-a-personal-representative.aspx

Social Welfare says: If a person dies while in receipt of a social welfare payment, their death should be notified as soon as possible to the section of the Department dealing with their payment. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/bereaved.aspx#:~:text=If a person dies while in receipt of,book or card with the notice of death. So if your father was in receipt of such a payment there's an obligation to inform social welfare.

Back