Revenue Commissioners and The Haughey affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamog123

Was a decision made to investigate how it was that the revenue commissioners had neglected to ever inquire into the financial affairs of the late Charles Haughey?
If the above was set up, have the results ever been published?
Regards,
Liamog123

They but Bertie's brother in law on the job... No I am not jokeing

I do wonder sometimes if it pays to be in any way honest. What is the point, one only ends up getting s...... but meanwhile the bigger the crook, swindler, cheat, tax dodger they more leeway, concession, write offs. Will anything every change in Ireland. It is exceedingly depressing.

There is another post on here (now closed) whereby a house owner asked a perfectly legitimate question, if in massive negative equity and one loses one's job is it better to hit the high seas and I actually think one is better off.

If I so much as genuinely mistakenly make an incorrect tax return say 15 years ago revenue are going to throw the book at me, there will be no little known tax rule in the book to help me nor will revenue point it out to me.

Where I am one of the really big accountancy firms that do our returns have told us by email that the equivelent of the revenue in Ireland have made a mistake in our favour and that we should ignore it as it's revenue error and if we get to December 2010 that is the end of the matter. Food for thought.

Times never change. I know a now retired business man, who in the 80's had the sheriff regularly call to his office, if his P30 return was a day late. When he asked the sheriff why he picked on him while others were never touched by Revenue, he was told that each week he got a list from Revenue and he just went of the companies who he knew were good tax compliant payers, as it was easy commission and not worth his while chasing the others.

They seem to like picking easy targets. Look at another example - if a landlord is not resident in Ireland, it is up to their tenant to pay the tax they owe on the rent, or they are liable. Absolutely bizarre. It's the only situation I can think of where a third-party is liable to pay the tax owed by another person.

I have no idea what this thread is about. But it seems to have diverged far from the original question which has been answered.

Feel free to Let Off Steam or debate some financial issue in some other forum.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.