Reus to Barcelona...how long?

liteweight

How long does it take to get from Reus to Barcelona? Is there a regular bus from the airport to the city. I've been told I'll have to get a taxi to the bus depot, is this correct? Would I be better to hire a car at the airport? Anyone any idea of how much a taxi would cost?

It's a good hour long drive - around 100km ... I'd guess a taxi would be very expensive

Reus airport is close to Reus or Tarragona train stations where there are frequent trains into Barcelona ... also there's a bus from Reus Airport to Barcelona - though it may not be that frequent.

Hiring a car is probalby not a good idea if you're staying in central Barcelona as parking would be a pain (and probably expensive)

If you're only going for a weekend and haven't booked your flights yet I'd look at switching to fly Iberia/Aer Lingus to Barcelona proper .. it might be a few quid more but it's a lot less hassle on a short weekend.

Thanks EvildoctorK. The trip is for three nights and unfortunately flights are already booked and paid for. Is it easy to get to the train station from the airport and is this a quicker route? I thought of taxi or car hire as there will be 6 of us splitting the costs. The hotel provides parking and at a guess I'd say the car would only be used to and from the airport, so cost might be excessive. I'm told the best way to see Barcelona is on foot or on the hop on/off busses.

I'm really looking forward to the trip but was misinformed about where Reus actually is. I'm told some car hire firms will supply a mini bus with driver to take people to and from the airport....mind you this was the same person who told me Reus was IN Barcelona!

its an hour on the bus. its a grand journey. Bus times coincide with Ryanair flight arrivals. Its the best option. €10 each way.

Have never flown into Reus but been into Girona several times (similar distance outside of Barca). There is a bus/coach company that schedules its departures into the city centre in line with the Ryanair arrivals. €12 for a return ticket...

I would imagine that there is some budding entrepreneur doing likewise in Reus ...

EDIT: Didn't see ShaneMc's before posting!

its an hour on the bus. its a grand journey. Bus times coincide with Ryanair flight arrivals. Its the best option. €10 each way.

Are you talking about Reus here ShaneMc? I know that there are regular buses from Girona but at Reus airport I thought there were only about 3 or 4 buses daily which go directly to Barcelona.

The train station at Reus is about 4km from the airport so a taxi or local bus out there shouldn't break the bank should the direct bus not work out. It has regular trains (every 40 mins or so) serving Barcelona which takes about 2hrs to reach.

Thanks for the information guys. Would train be more comfortable do you think?

I'd think that a direct bus would probably be more comfortable. If you can find one of these go for it.

There are different types of trains servicing this route so it could be hit and miss on what type of service you get. The trains known as Regionales are little more than commuter trains and for journeys over an hour or two aren't that comfortable.

Flew into Reus last year, public transport excellent. Went on daytrip to Barcelona by bus. Very comfy, no major hold-ups. Taxis are very expensive, didn't try the train.

Update! Just returned from Barcelona. Felt like getting straight back on the plane! There was a bus at Reus timed with RyanAir flights. Very comfortable, it took approx. one and half hours and cost 18 euro return. I must admit it was a bit of a trek. One word of caution... one would assume that the bus would only sell the amount of tickets required to fill the seats but this was not the case on the way back! Some people had to stand for the whole trip! The bus also had some mechanical problems on the way back so we had to change to another one. I was nearly trampled in the rush for seats at the changeover.

All in all it was good value for money. The fact that Ryanair planes do not have seats which allow you to lean back was a bit of a shock to the system but I suppose you get what you pay for.

I think it is a good thing that they have seats that dont go back. The space is so small that when some one leaves the seat back they are on your lap and with all flights being shorthall you should not need to lie back.

I think it is a good thing that they have seats that dont go back. The space is so small that when some one leaves the seat back they are on your lap and with all flights being shorthall you should not need to lie back.

Would it not be better to increase the space??