returns on savings

B

ballyloo

WHY ARE THE BANKS IN IRELAND ALLOWED TO GET AWAY WITH PAYING SUCH LOW INTEREST ON SAVINGS, IF YOU LOOK AT THE ENGLISH NEWSPAPERS, AND SEE THE RETURN THEY GET ON THEIR MONEY OVER THERE,EVEN NORTHERN ROCK ,WHO PAY3% DEMAND ON LINE , ARE GIVING 5.10% ON THEIR SILVER SAVINGS ACCOUNT, IS THERE WAY AROUND THIS TO GET A BETTER RETURN, BRADFORDAND BINGLEY 5.50%, ABBEY 7% JUST TO NAME A FEW,ANY IDEAS

?

Because interest rates are low in the euro zone.

Why do you think you pay so little interest on your mortgage/loans compared to people in the UK?

Sterling Interest Rates

Does anyone know why interest rates are higher in the UK than in the EuroZone? And also with the higher interest rates in the UK how come Sterling is not getting stronger against the Euro?
ajapale

Sterling

Ajapale
This is something I've been trying to figure out for ages too. Sterling seems to be tied far more to the euro than they like to think but I can't really figure out why it's happening cos as you say, the interest rate discrepancy would lead you to expect more movement.

Rebecca

sterling

"And also with the higher interest rates in the UK how come Sterling is not getting stronger against the Euro?"

Actually, the consistently higher interest rate should mean (I am almost sure) that sterling should be weakening against the euro. But that doesn't seem to be happening either. Go figure..............

Re: sterling

If UK wanted to join the Euro then it would wish its currency to weaken in relation to the Euro - could that be the reason? .. surley not

Back