Returning to hairdresser after some time - "what to say"!?

pinkyBear

Hi there, I need advise. I was going to a hairdresser for years and about a year ago I was really unhappy with the haircut and I left and started going to a local salon.

I have never had a good hair cut since I left, and have finally admitted to myself I should have never left my old hairdresser.

I have a friend who also uses the same hairdresser, and he always asks for me...
How do I go back without a birage of questions about "how come we haven't seen you for so long"...
P..

Just be honest. Say that you were annoyed at the time with your bad haircut, got into the habit of going somewhere else but in the end realised that actually, when all is said and done, you guys are still the best around - or words to that affect.

I wouldn't worry about it, he'll be happy to see you back & will probably not question you on where you've been. (back up story if you really need one about a niece who was using you as a guinea pig while she was training should suffice but you're better off to say nothing)

Hi Guys, I like those suggestions, I hope I'm not asked anything as he is a terribly nice and good hairdresser and I dont want to make an eegit out of him...

say as it was the recession etc you had to cut (no pun intended!) the amount of times you were going and one of your friends did your colour(if applicable) and you went to the model classes somewhere as cheaper!

I don't see what the problem is with Honesty. What if you go back and you get another bad cut. What is wrong with people in this country that they canot be honest about these things. Making up a story. He'll be so used to dealing with people he'll probably know it's a lie.
Be honest. No matter how nice or good he is, it is good for him to know as a business man that he sometimes gets it wrong. Who knows he might give you a free or discounted cut.

I'd go with Caveats suggestion. Its better be honest about it and people admire you for it.

It'll be two squirmy minutes. Id go with the niece training excuse myself, & then just say how glad you are to be back.
It'll be on to the the "are you going anywhere nice on holidays ?" before you know it.

I'd go with the recession one as well. The niece story could lead to "where did she train" etc.

I chop and change all the time and havebeen asked who did my hair the last time. I get annoyed when they slag off the previous cut/colour though - they lose their tip for that one.

I'm telling you, the more you dig...

You're just asking to be tripped up with this niece thing.

IMO, the recession excuse will just annoy them - and anyway, if that's the excuse, what has changed? They are still the same price presumably so why are you going back?!

The best thing about the truth story is that it's the easiest one to remember

To be honest you are right Caveat, I dont want to make an eegit out of him as he is really nice and very good... I'll go with the truth...

Kidnapped and only recently released. Tell them how the ransom was paid and how lucky you were to get away with your life.

How about you were gifted or won a substantial gift voucher for a different salon and now you have used it?

He probably will see right through all the excuses (especially the niece one!!) and has heard them several times over.

You might find appointment times with him not as flexible as before though if he has an established, regular clientele.

I personally would not mention the "bad" haircut as artistic egos seem to be easily bruised and your head in literally in his hands!

If he wants you back he will be very friendly and try not to mention you haven't been there for a while...

ps take a friend with you and chat with her and you won't feel uncomfortable.

I would certainly go with the truth "I was very disappointed with my last haircut here so I made a change but i decided to come back to give you the opportunity to put things right".

He will definitely put his best foot forward and if you are still not happy you will not come back and he'll know why