Returning a large heavy damaged treadmill bought online

What does the T&C have to say about returning items? It is pretty much the standard to return items disassembled and in their original packaging. And in this case you were even alerted to the possibility that you might have to return the item... I very much doubt you'll get far while refusing to comply with the terms and conditions for a return.

Damage Packaging

Last edited:
I had to return a large object at work that did not work as required. We were asked to put it in original packaging which we no longer had, including the timber pallet came on, it was around 200 kg. The company said they wanted it packaged so that it would not be damaged in transit back to them which is why they asked for the original packaging as they knew this suited the item. So we were able to satisfy this condition by a different pallet and bubble wrapping the parts that could move or cause damage and taping on the loose bits (like the plug lead) putting bubble wrap around the door handles, taping the doors together so it did not fall open etc. We informed the company that we did not have a pallet truck or a fork lift to put it in the back of the truck.

So courier companies like DHL or UPS or DPD will not take items on a pallet we have had to use different courier type company to move large items in the past. Because you are sending it to Spain it would need to go groupage. What we find with courier companies for larger items it takes a bit of teamwork to get it on the lorry and secured. Take photos and videos of proof it was well secured on the truck. They often use blankets to prevent further damage.

As the others said, get rolls of bubble wrap, and packing tape and get to work. Putting the pieces on a pallet might be a good idea but not all couriers can take pallets. Then organise for shipment by courier. Keep the company appraised of tracking and delivery details. Best of luck.

I had to return a large object at work that did not work as required. We were asked to put it in original packaging which we no longer had, including the timber pallet came on, it was around 200 kg. The company said they wanted it packaged so that it would not be damaged in transit back to them which is why they asked for the original packaging as they knew this suited the item. So we were able to satisfy this condition by a different pallet and bubble wrapping the parts that could move or cause damage and taping on the loose bits (like the plug lead) putting bubble wrap around the door handles, taping the doors together so it did not fall open etc. We informed the company that we did not have a pallet truck or a fork lift to put it in the back of the truck.

So courier companies like DHL or UPS or DPD will not take items on a pallet we have had to use different courier type company to move large items in the past. Because you are sending it to Spain it would need to go groupage. What we find with courier companies for larger items it takes a bit of teamwork to get it on the lorry and secured. Take photos and videos of proof it was well secured on the truck. They often use blankets to prevent further damage.

As the others said, get rolls of bubble wrap, and packing tape and get to work. Putting the pieces on a pallet might be a good idea but not all couriers can take pallets. Then organise for shipment by courier. Keep the company appraised of tracking and delivery details. Best of luck.
Thanks Campbell, I took plenty of pictures of the damage box which I have sent to the ECC, also the report from DACHSER. I did ask them if they could supply me with a box but they never replied to the email.

I'll see what the ECC say and what to do next, thanks

Interesting one, I think the company are reasonable to ask for original packaging, but if you don't have it they would be unreasonable to dig in on this point.

Did you say revolut were not interested? Given the threadmill company slow response and any further resistance I would press revolut to call back the money. I do think it is reasonable to ask you to do your best to dissemble and package as best you can.

Reasonable and the law can of course be two different things.

Interesting one, I think the company are reasonable to ask for original packaging, but if you don't have it they would be unreasonable to dig in on this point.

Did you say revolut were not interested? Given the threadmill company slow response and any further resistance I would press revolut to call back the money. I do think it is reasonable to ask you to do your best to dissemble and package as best you can.

Reasonable and the law can of course be two different things.
Revolut say that they can only proceed with a chargeback when I give them a tracking number. They said it's my responsibility to return it as per visa rules and closed the case. Since then FitnessDigital have not replied to any emails.

I have opened a case with the ECC but it will be probably sometime in January before I hear back.

I feel pretty confident with my case considering the shipping company have also stated that the packaging was damaged. Also FitnessDigital have accepted that the treadmill was most likely damaged in transit too.

I'll update the tread with any updates, thanks

When you say it's damaged; what's wrong with it?

There's a constant clunk sound coming from one of the rollers when the treadmill is on but they main problem is the engine makes a very loud sound when the speed is set to 14km or above. I'm also not convinced it is brand new and I think it may be refurbished, there was a lot of dirt on the inside and some finger marks (I think) on the engine housing.

None of that matters as they have accepted that it is faulty.

Their T&Cs note that all original packaging is required to return an item, but they can't deny liability for a faulty item based on a lack of packaging.

As far as I know they are still responsible for collecting heavy bulky objects from your house. They are insisting I have to dismantle it and package it in the original box which has already been disposed.
While they do have an obligation to arrange for the collection of a faulty item, they have no obligation to dismantle or package it up for you, you must do that yourself.

Lesson learned, but you should have retained all the original packaging, especially given the obvious abuse it had suffered, and done your best to patch that up to a standard the courier company would accept. Now is a good time to ask family and friends to donate packaging they might have from Christmas presents to package the item as best you can. You will need to ensure it can be transported back without further damage. Once it's shipped, reach out to Revolut again, they should be able to refund you once you can supply the shipping details.

Lesson learned, but you should have retained all the original packaging, especially given the obvious abuse it had suffered, and done your best to patch that up to a standard the courier company would accept. Now is a good time to ask family and friends to donate packaging they might have from Christmas presents to package the item as best you can. You will need to ensure it can be transported back without further damage. Once it's shipped, reach out to Revolut again, they should be able to refund you once you can supply the shipping details.

They won't accept it returned in anything other than the original packaging so I can't use any donated boxes. I'll wait to see the out come from the ECC and what they say, thanks

Great news!!

They got back to me yesterday and apologised for not replying to my emails, they said they didn't receive any of the other emails.

They are going to send me a new treadmill and I can return the old one in the new treadmills box. I only need to swap the faulty base unit with the new base unit saving me from having to unpack all of the other parts. When its ready they will then come and collect it, perfect :)

Thanks to everyone who replied and Happy New Year!

Yes a good result finally and at no extra cost to you
It's a great act the "Sales and Goods Act" for the consumer and provides a lot of protection for the consumer well beyond the usual warranties
I'm not up to date with it now but have used it in the past to great success including getting Sony to replace my 3 year old TV for free

Back