Return of minus ( - ) temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passport1

Hi
Just heard the weather on news on RTE now and they saying that we are going to get -4 and -6 temperatures on Saturday and Sunday night

I know lot of plumbers were advising people during last cold spell to leave their heating running over night and also have it come on at intervals during the day so as to prevent pipes freezing and reduce risk of burst pipes

With possible return of minus ( - ) temps over this weekend, would plumbers be recommding to do same again and leave heating running constant over night and at intervals on timer during course of day or are the temps no severe enough that need to do this

Thoughts?
Thanks

Cant say what you should do about heating but if you want ACCURATE weather forecasting try this site http://www.yr.no/. On the homepage select Europe from left hand side , Ireland from bottom of screen and then type your location into box on top of page.
Dont know how they do it as its a Norwegan site but its very accurate and local down to the smallest village in Ireland.
w200

You need to use common sense and prevent any system that is vulnerable from freezing, so it all depends on how well your installation and insulation has been.

On a good system, all pipework in attics will be well insulated, and pipework under ground will be deep enough to be below the frost zone. If your attic is well insulated, but the pipework and tank aren't, then you have a potential attic problem, and should consider (in the short term) leaving the trapdoor open and in the long term, get that insulation onto your pipework.

But leaving on the heating 24/7 in all situations is wasteful. If you have a boiler in an outside shed, and you're worried that the pipes between it and the house might freeze, you could run it for a couple of minutes each hour.

There isn't a one size fits all solution.

Cold Weather Returning At Weekend

Just saw Passport1's post about very cold weather returning at the weekend. For very accurate weather, I use the following link. http://weather.ie.msn.com/tenday.aspx?wealocations=wc:EIXX0011

The three hourly forecast is very accurate also, if you click on it.

The link I've posted is for the Capital but you can also get weather forecast for Dublin or Kerry or any other part of Ireland also. ;)

On a serious note, one fairly simple way to guard against mains water loss is to place some rigid board insulation on top of your stopcock to prevent it freezing up and, if you have an extra bit, between the stopcock and where the mains enters the house. It works a treat for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back