Return item purchased Online?

• Thread starter newhousewife
  • Start date
N

newhousewife

I bought a camera online and received it by courier yesterday.
Upon opening and inspecting the camera and manuals I have realised
that it will take at least a week of study to understand all the features.
I really only wanted a basic point and click camera.
I wrote to the online company to say that it wasn't the camera I expected it to be and they have told me they need more information before I can return it.

Can I return this camera now that it has been opened?
Does it have to be faulty before it can be returned during the Cooling Off period?

Have a look at the websites purchase agreement, this should detail reasons for returning a product. To select the camera that meets your needs, check www.dpreview.com

Also check out whether there is an 'Auto' setting on the camera which should let you just point and shoot without having to worry about manual settings. Sometimes all the controls look more daunting than they actually are.

Newhousewife.

if the website you used is based in Ireland then you are covered by Irish consumer legislation. You are obliged to be given a a period of 7 working days to cancel the contract with the supplier without you having to give a reason. This is known as the "cooling off period". The only obligation on you is to return the goods to the supplier.

Enterprise Ireland have good details on the above at . Albeit the advise they give is to those who are selling on the Internet.

Similar

Capaill said:
You are obliged to be given a a period of 7 working days to cancel the contract with the supplier without you having to give a reason.

(All assuming you bought this from Irish site).

I would actually dispute that this is the case for purchasing an item online. The information linked to there is for a service, and cooling off periods normally only apply to things such as investment products etc (in my opinion only).

When you buy an item, you can return it only if it is broken, or doesn't fulfill the purpose for which you bought it - Sale of Goods Act.

Just because you don't like what it is now that you've seen it, you don't have an automatic right to return the good - it's like you suddenly discovering that the clothes you bought aren't really your colour after all.

In this situation, you're purely dependant on the goodwill of the supplier.

(Applies to whether or not you bought off Irish site).

I would let them know you're difficulty. Ask them if they have a suitable alternative and see if you can take things from there. If you get an alternative from them also, they're more likely to refund you the difference rather than the whole amount.

Ronan_d_john

You are correct with regards the above is assuming an Irish site. My understanding is that Internet sales fall under distance selling legislation so that is where the 7 days period comes from

C

The distance selling directive applies to online shopping within the EU.

This link has a good overall summary of the [broken link removed] It's probably academic now in relation to newhousewife's query as the "cooling off" period may have expired unless the relevant information provided in the link was not provided by the retailer.

Marion

Thanks for the link Marion. I knew the directive was somewhere but could not find it and I hate posting on AAM without having evidence to back up the post.

Back