Retrieving data from a "crashed" hard disk

biggerry

Hi there,

I bought a new PC from Dell last November. Yesterday the hard drive crashed, so when I try and start Windows, the PC just keeps going in a loop i.e. the Windows screen with the status bar appears for a few minutes, it looks like it's going to bring up the screen where I enter my passord, but it just re-boots.

I tried starting in Safe mode, but the same thing happened. I then tried the Dell diagnostics and this confirmed that there was a problem with the hard disk. I called Dell support this morning and they went through some more tests with me and they confirmed that the HD was damaged.

I last backed up my files at the start of May, but since then I've added some photo's of my holiday to Portugal (http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=10771) plus photo's from my son's recent birthday party

As a side note, I found Dell support very good (so far!). They talked me through removing the hard disk and they told me that they'd have a replacement with me tomorrow. They said that they'd talk me through installing the new hard disk and also help me re-install Windows and get all the other devices (CD Burner) working.

Dell said that they couldn't retrieve the data from the old hard disk for me. They said that they could give me the name of a company who'd do this for me, but that it would be expensive. They have agreed to leave the old hard disk with me for 5 days so I can try and retrieve my data from this. They said that they need the old drive back because they need to find out why the disk crashed. They assured me that the disk would be wiped before it was thrown out.

Can anybody suggest how I go about getting my data from the old hard disk and transferring it to the new drive when it's installed?

FYI: I have a Dell Dimension 4700. The hard disk that crashed was 160 GB (not sure if this is of much help to you though).

The message boards on www.storagereview.com can be quite helpful. If you are able to get the hard drive physically spinning up then there are software utilities available which may help. Check what type of hard drive it is by looking at the label (Maxtor, Western Digital, Fujitsu etc. etc.) and then check that manufacturer's website to see what's available. Most will also have drive copy utilities available which you might be able to use if you can attach the drive as a slave. Is it recognised in the setup (BIOS) of the PC? (note, was knowledgeable about this kind of thing up to a couple of years ago, am assuming pcs still come with BIOS etc.)

If you can boot into windows, try pci file recovery. I had 60 gb lost on me recently on a corrupt external disk, I managed to recover 50gb using it.
Best of all, its freeware.
[broken link removed]

It will take a while to locate lost clusters and even longer to restore (like 2-3 days!) but its worth it to get your data back.

You could also try running from a bootable "live" cd such as BartPE for windows or Knoppix for Linux. They run a full usable operating system from just a cd with no need to access your hard disk or have anything installed on it.

Either of these have tools that should allow you to possibly move some of the files from your hard disk to another source.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

http://www.knoppix.org/

The crash may have corrupted the registry. I had an XP laptop that kept rebooting and was able to resolve the issue by following the instructions here [broken link removed] it may just work for you.

Also, if you bought it in November it may have an ATA rather that SATA harddisk and if so, when the new disk is set up, you could connect the original disk where your CDROM is currently connected and may be able to access it (rather than boot from it).

Last edited:
hi there....my hard drive died on me back in 2000....with a lot of very important data...which i hadnt gotten around to backing up (i back up every thing now..lesson learnt)

we got a software program called 'lost and found'...my boss downloaded a demo version from the web. He could see the files on the drive using this...we purcahsed the full program (only cost approx £100 or so)...after a bit of work we recovered my files....thank god...as it was crucial data for my Ph.D!!!!

There are also similar utilities available for free - for example [broken link removed].

Are you positive the hard drive is the problem. I have experienced similiar problems with dodgy memory. Initially I presumed the hard drive was corrupt but after checking the memory with a memory tester it reported errors. Ever since I replaced the memory everything is fine.

Have you tried setting up the hard drive as a slave on another computer (friends) and see if the drive is accessible?

Hi there,

Thanks for all the help. I got it sorted by doing what liquid i.e. setting it up as a slave drive on another PC and got the relevant files from there.

Thanks again!

Anybody any suggestions about reasonably priced external hard drives?? I don't want to go through this again.

From my limited knowledge, but using a process of deduction, it would appear that there is nothing wrong with your hard drive, if it worked as a slave (it spun, it transmitted).

My gut feeling is motherboard.

Booting something like Knoppix/Kanotix or BartPE as mentioned earlier and in other topics linked above would easily test the theory about the motherboard being faulty.

SineWave said:
From my limited knowledge, but using a process of deduction, it would appear that there is nothing wrong with your hard drive, if it worked as a slave (it spun, it transmitted).

My gut feeling is motherboard.

Not necessarily.

The Operating System or Registry could be corrupted - this is what I inferred from the original posts. However the hard disk could physically be ok.

Hence you can recover data when using it as a slave (i.e. when not required to boot from it).

Sorry about that..........there ya go........"limited knowledge".

It was though based a little bit on Dell having said the disc was "damaged".

SineWave said:
Sorry about that..........there ya go........"limited knowledge".

It was though based a little bit on Dell having said the disc was "damaged".

Probably so that they could sell a new one!!!

It sounds like its under warranty if they are sending out a new one.

Generally the self diagnostic on the harddisk that Dell probably had you run will tell the truth of it. I wouldn't worry about the rest of the machine unless have the new disk and you still have problems.

The simplest way to check is when you get the new disk off Dell see that you're machine runs ok. I saw a similar porblem to yours and it turned out to be the ide controllers on the motherboard being dead but the harddisk was fine.

Hi Machalla,

So far so good with the new disk.

I must say (again), that I'm really impressed by Dell's technical support. I called them on Monday morning, got the new disc Tuesday morning and I was up and running on Tuesday evening.

Back