Retiring on ill Health grounds

Maya22

It looks as if I will have to retire from my job as a primary school teacher on ill Health grounds in the future based on an incurable health condition. I’m trying to do my sums and wondered if anyone knows that when you get ‘added years’ if it would be based on my actual point on the salary scale on retirement or would I move up 6 and 2/3 added years on the incremental payscale also?

Also, for years service, are only full years counted or if I had 11.75 years service, for example, would that or just 11 years be used when pension is calculated?

Also if I died after receiving my pension early, would my spouse and kids still get the spouse and children’s pension?

Sorry about your situation. Your best route would be to contact INTO Head Office and speak to an official about the matter.

They are very good and will guide you in the right direction.

I’m trying to do my sums and wondered if anyone knows that when you get ‘added years’ if it would be based on my actual point on the salary scale on retirement or would I move up 6 and 2/3 added years on the incremental payscale also?

Afraid not - the added years are for your quantity of service only - they would not move you up 6 2/3 years on the incremental salary scale.

Also, for years service, are only full years counted or if I had 11.75 years service, for example, would that or just 11 years be used when pension is calculated?

No, all qualifying service is counted - so 11.75 years in the above example. Just to note - if 11.75 years is your actual service you may qualify for more than the 6 2/3 years based on this from the Superannuation Handbook :

"(b)officers with between 10 and 20 years actual reckonable service are credited with the more favourable of

(i) an amount of service equal to the difference between actual reckonable service and 20 years, subject to such credited service not exceeding the additional reckonable service which would have accrued if the officer had remained in service up to age 65; or
(ii) 6 years and 243 days (i.e. two-thirds of a year), subject to such credited service not exceeding the additional service which would have accrued if the officer had remained in service up to minimum retirement age;"

Also if I died after receiving my pension early, would my spouse and kids still get the spouse and children’s pension?

Yes - provided you are a member of the scheme - which you automatically are if you joined since 1984.

Also - don't forget Social Welfare benefits. Depending on whether you are Class A or Class D - Illness Benefit, Invalidity Pension, Widow's/Survivors Pension

Note : the above is based on generic public service pension schemes. I don't know if there are any other specific arrangements in Teaching Schemes.

Back