Retirement Homes

asdfg

Anyone know where I can get a list of Retirement homes (not Nursing Homes)

I don't really understand the difference ... I know some nursing homes have non-nursing parts to them ... are these retirement homes?

Hi asdfg - You will get a list from your local Social Security office, on on-line at OASIS (though I found face-to-face with social security people the most useful when researching on my late mother's behalf). Another source of information is your Community Health Centre or local Resource Centre. There is a very useful free book of information produced by Social Services on every aspect of retirement (I think it's called "When you Retire" or something equally direct) which gives advice on claiming entitlements (many people don't know about all of these and don't claim!!) and all aspects of looking after yourself and living life to the full. It sounds as if you need information on Independent Supported Accommodation for older adults, some of which are Warden-assisted (which means there's someone to see to the wheelie-bin, there are communal rooms, laundry and utilities etc.) Good luck with it.

Thanks for the replies
Henny penny
A retirement home/community is normally a number of 2 bedroomed homes around a larger community house.
My father requires care in getting up in the morning late at night meal times etc. As a result he cannot live at home. He is in good health, very independant and mentally he is very sound. He is currently in a Nursing Home but he does not like it as most of the people there require full time nursing care. He has noone to talk to all day as most of the people in the nursing home require full time nursing care. We feel if he could get into a Retirement home/community where he would have more freedom it would be more benefical for him.

He is also worried about the cost. Nursing homes cost 800 + per week. Retirement homes cost a fraction of this (They can be purchased outright or rented) Approx 200 to 300 pw if rented

Marie
Thanks for your reply I will look into this

Hi,

Here is a website...basic but it gives you an idea. I knew there was one in Ardee so I googled Moorehall Ardee and it came up with this link.

[broken link removed]

The main website is [broken link removed] which lists nursing homes as well.

Regards,

C71

The list of nursing homes referred to on the Oasis website in the post above, relate to approved nursing homes that qualify for tax relief. It's by no means an exhaustive list of all nursing homes in Ireland, just those that attract relief.

There are a range of housing options/type of accommodation for older people in Ireland. Among such options is 'special accommodation' provided by local authorities This is usually communal with special security features (i.e., wardens), etc.

Another option is 'sheltered accommodation' provided by either voluntary housing organisations or local authorities. Voluntary housing associaitons also provide housing for older people called group schemes.

Tenants in sheltered housing pay rent and they may qualify for rent supplements.

I suggest you begin by getting in touch with your local authority requesting details on housing options for older people (i.e. sheltered accommodaton) in your area. Also get in touch with the for information on schemes in your area.

Finally - pick up a copy of 'Entitlements for the Over 60's' a new FREE publication providing comprehensive information on the rights and entitlements (including housing options) from your nearest Citizen Info Centre. Had reason to obtain a copy recently and it's very useful.

Back