Retirement age for PRSA vs. PRB

giddings

Hi, thanks all for the informative conversations in this forum — you're doing a valuable public service...

I have about €100k in an employer's DC pension and have left the company. Apparently I can transfer it to an existing PRSA, or to a PRB. (Both are spelled out on my Leaving Service Options statement.)

For the minor convenience of not opening yet another new account, I'd prefer to put it into my existing PRSA. But I've been told that PRBs allow earlier retirement, from 50 instead of 65. If that's true I'll take out a new PRB, for the option of flexibility in the future.

Could anyone confirm this? I haven't been able to do so anywhere online — everything I read implies that the retirement ages are the same.

I just found this comparison table on the Standard Life website, which makes it sound like the PRSA and PRB retirement ages are pretty much the same. The "normal" age is 60, but you can take your pension from 50 if you're still employed.

(AAM won't let me include the link. It's at the standardlife dot ie site, then pensions / our pension products / compare pensions.)

Back