Retired Financial Regulator and Privacy

dewdrop

Dont know if i am too sensitive but was somewhat upset to see report in todays paper of where the retired Financial Regulator and his wife were more or less chased along a road while out walking. I feel people at least are entitled to walk the roads in peace. I admired the action of his wife in brushing aside the reporters recording equipment. I think they were soft targets and can easily think of a more robust response if some other types of people were harrassed in this way

Yes, the privacy laws need to be updated to protect peoples' private lives.

Or maybe if people just made their feelings on the subject clear to the editor and stopped buying the paper if they feel it has gone too far in not respecting someones privacy. I don't see why we need to change privacy laws.

You're all very forgiving. The retired FR was either incompetent or asleep on the job. Either way, he did a terrible job and has walked away on full pension. There is no accountability. He has not been asked to give an account of his actions. The people are entitled to know.

+1

Many peoples lives have been destroyed and the finacial regulator of the time is partly to blame.

Let me guess - The Sunday Independent had something to do with this?

Many peoples lives have been destroyed and the finacial regulator of the time is partly to blame.
True, though everyone who overvalued the house they bought or sold is also partly to blame. Can the media start doorstepping them when they are out with the family now too?

I understand how you feel, but whatever happened to the concept that two wrongs don't make a right?

True, though everyone who overvalued the house they bought or sold is also partly to blame. Can the media start doorstepping them when they are out with the family now too?

Let's not forget the years of Property Sections in the newspapers too, the media could end up doorstepping itself.

The Irish Times in it's property supplement on a Thursday, that at times was bigger than the newspaper itself, used to compare the price of a property for sale usually in Dublin with 4 other properties abroad.

Quite often if you sold your Irish based property, usually a run down wreck you could have purchased a villa in Provence for the same price.

Just wondering why I never did......................

The financial regulator is more to blame than anyone else for the financial crises. It was his job to regulate the system. The banks were in the business of making money. The newspapers are in the business of making money. The regulator was utterly incompetent, as were his office, and yet he retires with a golden handshake? Only in Ireland. He should be up before a tribunal to explain exactly what he and his office were doing for the last ten years. As a society we reward incompetence highly, and that is why we are in the state we are in. Nobody is ever held responsible, particularly if they have strong unions behind them.
So the regulator and his office were a failure, and now we call for more regulation? As far as I can see our crowd couldn't regulate the heat on a stove.

In his article last Sunday, Michael Clifford made the point that ineffective though he was, he was part of system that rewards responsibility without authority.

In short, the real requirement on Mr Neary was not to regulate the banking system but rather to take the heat for any related foul-ups mess that might occur during his tenure. It's a payoff. It's an implicit condition of appointment to most other statutory bodies.

Given the pressure Matthew Elderfield only recently came under to ease off Quinn, one can only imagine the real freedom Neary would have had to do his job properly (even if he had the will).

If that is the case, then why not dispense with regulation entirely? At least then we would be able to call ourselves honest - and we would save the annual sum we spend on the financial regulator and his office.

Spot on. It's the Health-Finance-HSE-HIQA dance; "round and round and round we go, no one's responsible so round we go."