Retention Planning

I believe it's when you build something without planning permission.
Then after the event you apply for rentention, can be risky

Michelle.

Bit of a hazy question perhaps but if you compare getting planning in advance as normal or retention,the risks aside, would they be more lenient with retention?

Also assume that's what you mean. Had a relative that had to apply for change of use retention after a rural outbuilding had been converted to accomodation. In that case it went smoothly- although there were costs involved. Mortgage lenders will be wary of anything requiring retention p.p.
In some cases, the planning authority will not grant it and will require that a new structure is demolished or, as in the case of the garage in Fenian Street in Dublin, that a structure demolished without permission is rebuilt. Generally, planning permission is best sought in advance.

Generally, planning permission is best sought in advance.
Good advice Gatherer.

For the benefit of the OP. If you have carried out work that would have required planning permission and it was not got prior to the works being done then you make an application for permission to retain the works or as its called, retention planning permission. Each and every application for retention will be dealt with on an individual basis so its basically down to what you need the retention for.

The planners have been known to be that wee bit more flexible when dealing with these types of applications. However if there is a serious road safety, public health or environmental issue involved then you would be looking at bother

I can only give an indication for planning in Donegal but generally speaking the majority of applications for retention permission are granted.

Well the reason i was asking was because I went for full planning permission for a 3400sq ft not realising it was this big..Ya i know stupid.But anyway when i did realise the size of it I was after been granted planning so that was fine. But we decided to build a smaller scaled house so I dropped a copy of the smaller plans into the coco and they said ya it was fine to go ahead and build the smaller house and they would send out the revised contribution fees invoice. So weeks passed and i heard nothing so i contacted them. I was told at this stage that I I would have to pay the original fees for the bigger house even though we building a house 2360sq ft not 3400sq ft.Which is 11,500euro. So they said i could go for retention planning to have the fee's reduced but that was the only way possible of getting them reduced.
Now I dont know whether to go for the retention planning to have the fees reduced or just pay the extra amount!!There is approx 3800euro in the difference. What would u do??

2360 sq. feet is about 220 sq.metres so your planning application fee would be 220 x €2.50 = €550.

If you already have your plans drawn you should get your agent to run off more copies of the plans and maps etc and make a new application. He would be a rip off merchant if he charged you more that €500 or so for this. Check with him first as to how much he will charge to prepare a new application for you.

I think you should probably come out of it at a cost of around €1000 total including the planning fee so there is a good saving involved

Nutty_nut, Aisling is talking council development charges here, not application fees. Different animal altogether.
Leo

Nutty_nut, Aisling is talking council development charges here, not application fees. Different animal altogether.
Leo
I think you need to read through the posts again Leo. The thread is after all titled "Retention Planning"

She was inviting suggestions as to whether she should just pay the development charges in full or look for retention permission for the revised size of house and thus get a reduction of €3800 in the development charges.

If she wants to apply for retention it will cost her the €550 planning application fee I mentioned plus whatever her architect charges her and she will thus get a reduction of €3800 in the development charges.

I am giving her an idea of the costs involved in order to achieve that discount so as I say you may well want to read the posts again

Fair enough, but planning fees weren't mentioned at any point. I think there's more to this than decision than a case of simple finances though.
Leo

aisling

I reckon from having had a number of planning application prepared over , the last few yaers that you should get a quote from an architect to see how much a retention planning application would cost. if this was somewhere around 1500-200 then you would obviously be saving close to 2 grand on development levy so might well be worth it - onlky thing is it will take 3 months or so to sort out.