Resturants in Kenmare (Winter Months)

Binomial

Does any one know any good resturants in Kenmare Co Kerry which are open during the winter months? (November, December, January,February).

Thanks,
BiN

Packies in Kenmare is very nice and I am sure is open during the winter months.

regarding D'Arcys - we were there in June of this year and while the food we had was lovely, i have never been so hungry leaving a restaurant. We were put in a room that had a approx 7/8 tables in it, two other couples were in the room and we were placed in the middle of these, we did ask to be moved but the waiter said the other tables were reserved - fair nuf we said, we will sit here then. I knew we were in trouble when the fish cakes i ordered for starter turned out to be singular and about 2" wide and 1" deep. The lady beside me had ordered the same and when she saw mine arrived grabbed her menu and checked that it actually said "fish CAKES". We both raised this with the waiter and he advised that normally the fish cake was served cut in two and presented that way hence the plural.

Our main courses arrived and we had both ordered the mussles and hand cut chips - out came the two bowls of mussles (15 mussels in each) and 1 bowl containing 8 thick cut chips - we waited for a bit and then asked the waiter where was the other portion of chips, he replied that the one bowl contained the two portions!!!! at this stage the two other couples and ourselves had started to laugh cause it was just unbeliveable, One of the ladies said she had complained about the portion size and when ordering her desert the waiter said that he would get chef to give her extra. We waited for this enormous desert to arrive, when it eventually did it was the smallest portion of apple pie i have ever seen, app she got an extra scoop of ice cream!!!.

When paying for the meal we did complain about the portions and we were told that the grill only serves "light bites" and if we wanted bigger portions we should have gone into the restaurant. We didnt even realise there was a choice, we walked in the front door, asked for a table for two and were handed menus. I even went back the next day to see if we had gone in a wrong door but there was def only one.

I have to say all the food was absolutely lovely but if you are hungry after a day of tramping round the mountains and lakes be careful. We ended later that night in O'Donabhains (think thats how it's spelled) having a second dinner. food was gorgeous by the way and lots of it.

Helen 72 thanks for your kind comments about us here in O Donnabhains, hope the other experience will not deter you from comming to Kenmare, if you are ever back again and need accommodation have a look at our site ( preserntly being redeveloped ) www.odonnabhain-kenmare.com or our self catering site before you book e mail me and i will give you a discount code. Appols we are also closed Dec and Jan.

Jer Foley

I recently stayed in the Sheen Falls - it is just outside Kenmare. We ate in Packies and it was divine so it is a pity that is closed. If budget is not an issue I would recommend eating in the Sheen Falls - ridiculously expensive but absolute heaven!

Helen 72 thanks for your kind comments about us here in O Donnabhains, hope the other experience will not deter you from comming to Kenmare, if you are ever back again and need accommodation have a look at our site ( preserntly being redeveloped ) www.odonnabhain-kenmare.com or our self catering site before you book e mail me and i will give you a discount code. Appols we are also closed Dec and Jan.

Jer Foley

Hi Jer and Welcome to AAM!

Im sure you noticed that the post you are referring to is over two years old.

We have a no advertising rule on the board but on this this occassion we will let your post stand as you have declared your interest and you are excericsing your right to reply.

I look forward to hearing more about the culinary delights other good things about Kenmare.

aj

Back