Restrictions on sending unsolicitated emails?

simplyjoe

I wish to send emails to local businesses. The emails are being obtained from newspapers and other publications in which the proposed recipients have themselves advertised. I propose sending these emails, effectivelly adverts/information brochures, 3 - 4 times a year. Am I restricted by any laws from doing so?

Re: emails

It could be construed as spamming - unsolicited advertising aka junk email.

As a matter of interest, are the publications selling you the email-lists or are you compiling your own manually?

Posting Guidelines -

2. Please make the heading of your question relevant Don't post a general heading such as "help !" or "Mortgage query". If you post a heading such as "Mortgage for separated couple", it will get a better response and will be much easier to find if you need to go back to look for it.

It could be construed as spamming - unsolicited advertising aka junk email.

As a matter of interest, are the publications selling you the email-lists or are you compiling your own manually?

I am compiling my own. There will be no lists. Each run will be re-compiled from papers, etc..

Is there a legal restriction on spamming or junk mail?

It is legal for a business to send another business emails or to make calls or to send lenders. Different rules apply to spamming people.

But be careful not to overdo it. And make sure to give them a facility to opt out and respect their wish not to be spammed.

Brendan