restoring 'pop ups' on my laptop

ice

Hi

I seem to have a problem with 'pop ups' on my pc in that it won't allow any. I can get into the first page of hotmail but not the next one and I can get into the first few pages of most sites but cannot get an pop up pages.

Is there any easy way to fix this ...I called Dell and they said it was just a matter of making some settings changes, however they were going to charge me 50 euros to fix it !

Thanks

Ice, If you are using IE6/7 then go to Tools->internet options->Pop up blocker. From here you can turn it back on and change the settings.

Thanks for the reply....I just tried it there and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I still can't get past the login page of hotmail or into ebanking on the NIB site.

Any other suggestions ??

Thanks

Perhaps you need to enable 'cookies' for those particular sites. If you go Tools->internet options->privacy and lower internet zone settings. Then go back to these pages and 'refresh'.

Do you not get a warning in the browser saying that popups were blocked and allowing you to tweak the settings to allow them on a case by case basis? Do you have any other tools installed that might be blocking popups?

Have tried all above but it doesn't seem to be working :(

Clubman, it used to come up when a pop up was blocked but that doesn't seem to be happening anymore. My system is running slowly so we ran virus checks but nothing came up. Dell are calling me on Friday to reinstall.

This problem only seems to have happened when my husband ran the virus checks but he said nothing came up and he didn't change any settings......

You should also run an adware/malware check using something like Windows Defender, Ad-aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, ewido etc. or even all of them!

Back