Resting hollow core slabs on RSJ's.

hayabusa

Folks.
I was going to rest my hollow core slabs on top of an rsj as per one engineers direction. However my concern is now that there will be bulk heads in the rooms below.
Another engineer suggested that i use 203 x 203 beams and weld a 400 mm plate under and rest the beams on this plate.
This will eliminate the bulk heads.
I have seen this done before, however one engineer says this cannot be done the other says it can.
In both cases there is adequate support under as i am putting in uprights with 400 x 400 plates on them.

Anyone please confirm.

A slimfloor beam as you described would eliminate the bulkhead; maybe the engineer was objecting to the thickness of the plate? I have used them many times on residential projects.

Hi bullbars.
The hollowcore is quinns, and is 200 thick. Then requires a non structural screed. Just point the joints.
These would sit down into the 203 x 203 RSJ.
The plate would be 16mm thick and fillet welded on each side. These will be supported with round uprights with 400 x 400 base and header plates welded on top and bottom. therefore the plate and the beam is supported.
This is a residential project.
Also do you get the baseplate welded on site or off site.
Any ideas of suppliers of same.

Thanks

Hi Hayabusa,
200mm deep PC units sound alot for a residential project !! Maybe they can be reduced to 150mm ?? If not can you you let the hollowcore bear into the web of the 203UC ?? You may need to taper the top of the precast units so they fit but this will eliminate having to weld extra plates etc ... I think the minimum bearing for hollowcore units on steelwork is 75mm (you might need to confirm that with your supplier). The 75mm screed will cover the top flange of the beam but you may want to put a strip of A142 mesh (maybe 1m wide) over the steel beam to stop cracking.

Back