Restaurants in Paris Quartier Latin

Trish2006

It's been 5 years since I was in Paris but I remember finding a small narrow street in the quartier latin that was restaurant after restaurant, many good deals, great boeuf bourgignon, fondue, melting raclette, etc. It was in the general St Michel/St Germain area. Does anyone by any chance know where I'm talking about? Heading over May bank hol weekend with my Mam and would love to find this road again.

Thanks in advance
Trish

Rue Mouffetard, and the intersecting Rue du Pot de Fer, nearest Metro station is Place Monge. Loads of very reasonably priced, busy restaurants. You won't get haute cuisine, but there are plenty of decent places.

I know the general area you're talking about - there are a few streets that will meet the description. Possibly around Rue Mouffetard? One of my favourites is the Maison de Verlaine on Rue Descartes, just off the Rue Mouffetard. Might be worth having a look at this link:
[broken link removed]

post crossed with Sherman's - and I agree!

I just booked a hotel in this area last weekend : http://www.abbatial-paris-hotel.com/

Got a decent deal for accomdation and flights were on the cheap from Aer Lingus so heading over in 1st week of April.

That's an excellent link Dreamerb and any info anyone else can throw my way would be great. It will be my gf's first time ut I've been there twice before.

Ixus.

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm pretty sure it wasn't as far south as Rue Mouffetard. I spent a year in Paris nearly 10 years ago so I'm familiar with a lot of the areas and Rue Mouffetardisn't somehwere I'd have wandered to on a weekend break especially with where our hotel was. I'm sure I'll find it again, probably one of the laneways off St Michel.

Ixus, just booked my hotel. Had a shortlist of 3, one being the Abbatial, and the deals in the other 2 were gone since this afternoon so I'm booked into the same one. So if it's great please let me know and if it's crap please lie. Seriously though, all I want is a bed and bathroom. I'm heading with my Mam, Sis and Sis in law so it's not a romantic weekend and we plan to have enough good food and wine that we don't care what the hotel is like.

Thanks for the link dreamerb
Trish

Dreamerb - you're either my husband in disguise or another Maison de Verlaine fan! We love that restuarant, posh food it's not, great food it is! Can't wait to go back. 3 courses and wine for €20, you'd pay twice that here!

I'm another fan (but I'm not your husband in disguise!)

Here's a map and some . Compliments de la maison...

Trish 2006 - if the Rue Mouffe is too far south, maybe you're thinking of one of the more obvious ones - Rue de la Huchette, or Rue de la Harpe? Rue de la Harpe is full of restaurants - a bit patchy, though you can strike gold - but is very touristy.

Shesells - just another fan! And one thing I found really entertaining about the Maison de Verlaine is that it translates only a couple of its (less good value) prix fixe menus into English. The best ones were in French only, I think on the very Parisian principle that you didn't deserve them if you couldn't try to decipher the French!

I'm now having a serious hankering for French onion soup, followed by Pave de boeuf au poivre, and a seriously rich and sinful chocolate mousse to finish off. How about an AAM dinner rendezvous in Paris? DrMoriarty, care to join us?!

I was in a restaraunt in Paris years ago which I'm trying to find again.
It was an art deco room which was discovered during renovations. The BBC used it in the credits for their World Cup coverage in 1998...it was gorgeous and I'd love to go back.
Do any of you knowledgable souls know the name? Much appreciated...

my first reaction was Mouffetard, but you probably mean de la Harpe. I'd go to Mouffetard any time, it's worth going that bit further, mmmmhhhh oh the memories, there was a Greek place that was yum!

Le Polidor is near the Latin Quarter. Charming, old restaurant.

20 euro menu available, also a 12 euro restricted choice at lunchtimes. Red house wine is as low as 2.50 for 500ml.

[broken link removed]

Thanks guys
I had a look at the map and I think it was the general area of Rue de la Huchette and Rue de la Harpe? It was definitely pedestrian. I know it's touristy but it had a good buzz because of it and my sil has never been to Paris before so I know she'd love it. Will definitely try to get to Maison de Verlaine though after all the good reviews, is it walk in or would I have to call in the day before to book?
Protocol, that menu looks fab, I'd love it, but I doubt I could get my sis in there, too much offal to keep her happy.

Trish

We've never booked the Maison de Verlaine (partly because there are quite a lot of other decent restaurants in the area, including one about two doors up). But it depends on the evening - might be advisable to pre-book for a week-end night, or to go along that bit earlier (sevenish or a little before rather than eight or after).

Enjoy

Rue de la Huchette is a pedestrianised street full of restaurants, particularly Greek, if I remember. Usual routinr of waiters trying to drag you in if they catch your eye at all.

Plenty of tourist menus, etc but food not particularly good if I remember correctly. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Nah, that's about right. More 'traditional' smashing of plates than smashing food... The further away from St-Michel the better, as a rule.

The area you are talking about is rue de la Harpe, rue de la Huchette, rue St Severin, etc.. Get the metro to St Michel, face the fountain and the narrow steet on your left leads into this area. That being said the restos here are generally regarded as pathetic, except perhaps for pizza joints,and 'Les Balkans', the only one in this area I would recommend, which has been serving cheap eats since the 70s (or earlier) has disappeared since my last visit. If you are taking your mam to Paris do take her to Chartiers, 7 rue Faubourg Montmartre, (metro Grands Boulevards). . I was there on Monday night and had a great time. Also, I didn't get a chance to check it out this visit, but rue St. de la Montaigne de St Genevieve, that runs down the hill from the Pantheon to Bvd. St Germain des Pres has good quality restos.

I'm going to take all these recommendations with me. It is the pedestrian area off St Michel that I was thinking of. I know it's not going to be top quality but I'm the only foodie in the group and I don't think French food would be hugely their thing. Cheap and cheerful will more than likely be the order of the day. However I will try to talk them into being a bit more 'Parisienne'. I'd also be quite happy to do a lot of street eating, nice cheesy crepes and perhaps a visit to that fabulous falafel place in the Marais that I used to frequent in my younger, more carefree days...
Just have to go back soon with hubby, I could bring him to the nice places, he wouldn't dare argue ;-)

Thanks for all your help

Salivating just thinking of it - I'm a saumon fume, faux-filet and le colonel girl. Whoever thought of putting vodka with lemon sorbet was a genius!!