Restaurant with 'Irish' food

ragazza

Hi,

I'm looking for a restaurant in Dublin city center which has irish food - either for lunch or dinner is fine.

I'm bringing over some spanish friends to Dublin, and they keep asking me what irish food is like. All I can think of are sunday roasts and steaks etc, so would like to give them the opportunity to sample irish food.
Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ragazza

There's a place in Temple Bar....can't think of the name-it has a green front/facade.

All I can think of are sunday roasts and steaks etc, so would like to give them the opportunity to sample irish food.
Do you have any suggestions?

Surely roasts, steaks etc are Irish food? Certainly more Irish in my book that the paddywhackery grub you mind find in the more touristy spots around Temple Bar, Bunratty etc...

I have and I thought it was crap ... wouldn't recommend it
Winding Stair as recommended by Greenfield is great though !

Both of these premises seem to be equally well rated on the menupages.ie link i posted above though...

What did you / did you not like in these 2 places?

I would put them in very different leagues ... Winding Stair has high quality ingredients from irish producers interestingly prepared and served in a lovely setting

Gallaghers Boxty House (unless it's changed radically since I was there which admittedly is a few years ago) was to my mind boring food, prepared in an uninteresing fashion served on lots of mashed potato as I recall. Crap is maybe a bit harsh of me, at best I would have described it as very average ... I thought it represented poor value for money and I certainly wouldn't choose to go back given the large amount of nicer places that are out there.

Those reviews on menupages.ie don't resonate with my experience in Gallaghers anyway ... it may have changed (but it has to be said from walking past it that it doesn't look like it has changed much)

since ireland is know for its pubs more than its restaurants why dont you bring them to a pub/restaurant, you would have alot more to choose from then than just a irish restaurant??

Hi all,

thanks for the feedback.

I dont really fancy somewhere touristy like the boxty place - I suppose I'm more looking for a normal restaurant which would give an indication of the type of food thats traditionally irish (the way that gazpacho/ paella/tortilla etc are traditional in spain).

My spanish friends have heard that irish food is tasteless and boring, so I'd like to surprise them with something irish, that is delicious (unfortunately I cant think of any irish recipes myself, apart from roasts!).

Yes, I've heard the Winding Stair is good.
I'll check out the menupages link too.

Cheers,
Ragazza

Wasn't there a place near The Bleedin' Horse pub on Camden St?

Maybe it's long gone now...

How about Fitzers ? Dawson St & Temple Bar. AFAIK they do a lot of contemporary Irish cuisine.

I have been there myself but maybe other posters could comment, good or bad..........

Like previous posters, I was not impressed by Gallaghers. Brought an EU delegation there a number of years ago who politely put up with it. There are so many good quality and more authentic Irish restaurants in Dublin that represent modern Irish tastes.

A lot depends on how much you want to spend you could range from pub grub, to Avoca cafe style, to the Chapter One's of this world. I think there are plenty of excellent examples in each category. I'm sure you won't find it difficult to impress your guests.

Let us know how you get on.

J2K

If I'm right, the OP is looking for somewhere that makes a decent job of genuinely traditional dishes like coddle, bacon & cabbage, stew?

Had lovely coddle in a pub in Temple Bar once, can't remember the name but the food was served upstairs. The Auld Dubliner, maybe?
Was a midweek afternoon, so fairly quiet & pleasant. Don't know the place well enough to recommend it for taking visitors though.

there is a place on Kildare street where they speak Irish which might impress them. I'm not sure if it's still there and cannot remember what food they did although I remember it being good.Someone else might be able to help with the name. The all day menu for the winding stair looks very tasty.

Not sure if this is the place referred to above but Cafe Trí D, the Irish speaking cafe on Dawson St is closed.