Restaurant near RDS

What price range and what type of cuisine?

Roly's, Bella Cuba, Siam Thai..........

The restaurant in Bewleys Hotel - about 500m away - is supposed to be good. Only ever had breakfast there myself and that was great.

looking for somewhere for a small family meal. Somewhere not too expensive but has good range of food to cater for all tastes.

There is a good value Indian (downstairs) and Italian (upstairs) across Merrion Road from the American Embassy. Not sure of the names, but I've enjoyed both restaurants - particularly their lunch specials.

Restaurant in 4 seasons hotel is great - reasonable enough at about 100 euros per head for dinner.

Hi,

"Restaurant in 4 seasons hotel is great - reasonable enough at about 100 euros per head for dinner."

Maybe I,m odd, but this is the new Celtic Tiger Ireland where someone thinks €100 for your dinner is reasonable. Vulgar!

We ate in Roly's recently before the Rod Stewart concert on a Saturday afternoon. Place was very busy and full seemed to have lots of families in for celebrations i.e. birthdays, anniversaries etc. Food was grand and simple - not too sophisticated. Children welcome too.

Can recommend the Cuban restaurant (Bella Cuba) particularly the mojitas! Prices are reasonable (30-40/head), but cuban food may not be to everyone's taste.

I have been in most of the above restaurants and if you are going for a family meal and some might not appreciate oriental I'd go for Rolys. The lunch menu in Rolys is more or less the same as the evening menu and much cheaper. They do two sittings on a Sunday and I'd recommend the second sitting at 2.30. Very relaxing and good value.

Only problem with Baan Thai is that it's very small and the tables are incredibly close together. If it's a big family group, you might annoy other diners.

I always found Roly's overrated. Can never understand all the attention it gets. It also attracts a rugby crowd.

Originally posted by Europhile
I always found Roly's overrated.
I agree - trendy, cramped and I wouldn't rate the food.
Originally posted by Irishlinks
The restaurant in Bewleys Hotel - about 500m away - is supposed to be good. Only ever had breakfast there myself and that was great.
O'Connells (Darina Allen's brother's restaurant) in Bewleys is consistently good I'm told. They also do a good value Early Bird - haven't been myself. Think you have to book.

Based on my experiences I would second Sherib's comments ... Rolys is OK but really not that good - certainly there's nothing in Rolys food or general ambience that justifies it's reputation - also as observed if you do want to go there it's better value for Lunch - dinner is pretty pricey and substantially the same as their lunch offering.

O'Connell's (in the basement of Bewleys Hotel) is much better (and better value too). O'Connells certainly used (a few years ago) to have an excellent value early bird menu - maybe don't do it any longer but it was a real bargain.

Edited to add - Seem to still have the Early Bird - 3 courses for €25 / 2 for €21 ... which is a real bargain given the high quality of the food ... Their main menu isn't overpriced at all either (interesting pricing system they operate whereby you pay a price based on your main course and dessert & starters are free) .. All the info is on [broken link removed] .. making me hungry now .. must go back :)

Back