Resident in ROI, working in UK

DeeDee68

I have recently returned to live in Ireland but continue to work for my London based company. I travel back to the London office twice a month, working from the office there for 2-3 days at a time. The rest of the time I work from home in Ireland. I work 4 days a week. I am continuing to pay tax and NI in the UK. I use my mother in law's address in London when I am there.

I have applied for and receive medical cards here in the ROI for myself and my two children. I have a PPS number for each of us. I receive child benefit from the UK but have applied for a top-up here in the ROI and have been notified of the amount I will receive (which is due to begin in January 2020).

I recently spoke to someone who has also returned to live here and continues to commute to London and he said he pays his tax here in the ROI. I didn't really get chance to go into detail on how that works or whether it's something I should be doing. I'd obviously prefer to continue to pay my tax in the UK as the tax here is higher.

Can anyone advise me if there's anything else I need to do or anyone else I should be informing?

Thanks

Under EU regs you can choose to pay income tax, either to Ireland or to the UK. There is an agreement to avoid double taxation. I live in Ireland but tax at source on my norwegian pension in Norway because I pay slightly less tax in Norway than I would in Ireland. Things may change re EU rules after Brexit.

I don't think you get a choice - usually the double taxation treaty specifies where the income is taxed

Where did you work in Norway? Pension taxation can depend on the source of the pension, but each treaty can be different

Thanks both. I do spend more than 183 days a year in Ireland. I spoke to HMRC in the UK when I moved to Ireland a few months ago and they asked me if I wished to continue to pay my tax in the UK and I said yes, so thats what's been happening. Do I need to get in touch with Revenue here in Ireland? If I switch to paying tax here in Ireland, I assume we'll lose our medical cards as I think our entitlement to those was based on my working and paying tax and NI n the UK.

My UK employer pays into my pension and I have private health insurance as part of my job. Will these be affected if I switch to paying tax in Ireland?

Who should I be talking to in order to get things sorted? Revenue? Thanks :)

Back