Researching experiences of Disneyland Paris

R

RTE

Hi , Disneyland Paris is 15 years old this year and I visited the park last week with my family . I am looking for the opinions of people who have visited the park over the last few months . I'm thinking of doing a radio piece . Good , bad or indifferent experiences are welcome . I'm particularly interested in tips on how to get the best out of the day , also whether it was good value for money , thoughts on delays getting onto rides , and any interesting asides you might have on the subject - many thanks
Niall Martin

I was there this time last year and during the summer last year also. Did not have young children with me though. Teenagers..... lots of fun...
Travelled from another area during the summer period, but stayed locally in December. Was actually there two weeks ago too, but not for the Park, just for the shopping.... La Vallee.... great outlet centre and the shopping centre is great too (the supermarket alone is worth a visit, we have nothing here like it)
PM with any questions you might have.

This may have changed in the last few years but our only real gripe was how hard it was to get some decent snacks in or around the park. Loads of fast food places, but impossible to buy fruit or yogarts - the small shop at the station doesn't even sell them (which I believe is Disney owned). Port Adventura had load of fruit stands & healthy snacks.

Other than that, we had a great time....went off season so not too much queueing. Don't know how people stand there for up to hour to get on a ride with small kids.

My family went last Easter for 5 days.
Boys aged 1, 4 & 7, my wife and my mother.
Stayed offsite in nearby Val d'Europe. Had a great time, found it a bit daunting at first but once we got our bearings it was grand. I guess compared to other parks it's not that big.
Did tons of research before hand and had general itinaries for each day.
Lots of great websites such as here and rollercoaster but found www.disboards.com to cover everything for anyone who wanted to be totally prepared.
Only grumble would be the lack of decent food inside - mostly fast food as already stated and very expensive. The queuing wasnt too bad for most things - max 30 - 45 mins but of course the Fast Pass is dead handy and must be used. I dont know if all people realise the extend of queuing that is required or how many utilise the fast pass system.
Thankfully my mum looked after the baby for us in the park - otherwise it would have been tough with a 1 year old - too young - I think the youngest needs to be at least 3 to get the whole Disney thing.
We booked all seperately - flights with Air France, got a pre-booked 7 seater form CDG to the hotel and then used the train to the park each day (2 minute journey) Bought annual passes which are around the same price as a 3 day ticket. Restaurants are better in the village - we ate in Rainforest and Cafe Mickey. Had the characters dinner on our last night in Cafe Mickey and it was brilliant for the kids - absolute highlight.
Didn't bother queuing for autographs or photos with the characters inside the park - thankfully the boys weren't into that.
I recall the packages in the hotel at the park were quite expensive but there would be merit in staying so close with small kids.
Hoe to go again before passes run out - some new rides open since we were there !!

Thanks to all who replied to my posting - I will check up previous threads . I spoke to someone who had stayed at one of the on site hotels and they had a great time , residents get to go to the park from 8am which means they get a good run before the day trip hoardes and they can go back later in the evening when it's also much quieter . The day we were there - on a day trip - the quesues were 90 - 100 mins and even the fast pass was running 6 hours later. It was French mid term so that perhaps explains it.

Niall

We've gone to Paris a few times during mid-term (cheap Aer Lingus flights!) and have always taken a day trip to Euro Disney. This book we found great and it has been lent to friends and work colleagues too:-

Paris and Disneyland Resort Paris (Take the Kids) by Helen Truszkowski
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paris-Disne...382824?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194366458&sr=8-21

Most important tips:-

We found day trips were enough! It's exhausting... for us kidults anyway!

From Paris: take the RER A line train, buying a combined RER-Disneyland Paris ticket - giving a return trip from central Paris plus 1 day's entry to the Parks. Ask for billet combiné Disneyland Paris. N.B. check that your train is the A4 going to Marne la Vallée. the train trip takes about 40 minutes and is stress free.... nice power nap coming back!

First thing on arriving, take the 20 minute round trip by steam railroad to get a handle on the Park's layout.

Fastpass is essential allowing you to book ahead for popular rides and get priority. Then combine better-known rides with the less overrun attractions.

At the parades, stake out your spot and defend it with tenacity. Don't give in to push kids and , especially, pushy adults! You will cop on after your first visit! Some people are unbelievable!

Biggest tip of all... from about 5.00pm the Park empties. We found this even in Summer. Our kids had the rides more or less to themeselves! trains run till late. The evening parades after dark are also the best.

Bring plenty of drinks! There is no way of avoiding the food places and souvenir shops. Blowing dosh there is part of the Disney experience, though the kids didn't seem to have the same mania (understatement!) on the second or subsequent trips. I went with the bset of intentions in not wasting money there, but, ended up buying the lads in the office tacky Mickey Mouse skull caps and other souvenirs! The pirate swords were confiscated at the airport... upsetting our five year old and ... this 5 year old going on 50!

If you have young kids (5-10), bring them to the Science Museum, much more engrosing than EuroD.

Niall,

There may be some useful tips on http://visit.disneylandparis.co.uk/smart-tips/index.xhtml (this) site also.

I'm a big theme park fan and have been told by many visitors that Easter is usually the busy time for most of them.

Whilst I have wanted to do Eurodisney for some years now I would definitely recommend Alton.

This review site might help also.

Back