Required: German Translation - What does 'Bohrunger' mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towger

Required: German Translation - What does 'Bohrunger' mean?

"Mit M8 Bohrunger zur Befestigung"

"With a 8mm ??? for attaching"

Is is:

A. A bolt
B. The hole for a bolt.
C. Something else!

According to Google Translate it means
With M8 holes for fastening

The M8 could refer to the size/type of screw or fixing provided with whatever it is you're trying to put together. Or it could mean that you have to drill a hole with an M8 (8mm?) drill bit in order to attach something.

It's hard to say exactly what they mean without seeing the item you are assembling or the full instruction sheet.

I don't know if the above will make sense - if you want to post back with more detail .......

I've asked my husband about this - he's Swiss - and the only thing we can come up with is pre-drilled holes.

See this link on a German website that sells lights, the description below the light and the picture indicates that the "Bohringer" are pre-drilled holes for fixing/attachment to walls etc.

I hope that helps, we were chatting about it at lunch time and it was annoying both of us to figure out what it was.

I checked my German dictionary and the translation for Bohrung (plural Bohrungen) is:
"bore(hole)" or "drill hole".

"zur Befestigung" could also mean "to be reinforced (by)"

It sounds like one of those instruction sheets written in Chinese and translated by someone who drank a German beer once...

It sounds like one of those instruction sheets written in Chinese and translated by someone who drank a German beer once...
That's what my other half though as well, because he's a native German speaker and has never heard of Bohrunger.

We've had flat pack furniture with English instructions which were obviously written by someone whose native language is not English and they were very difficult to understand.

Thanks for everyone's replies, I can think I can safely say that it is the size of a hole for a bolt!

Status
Not open for further replies.