Republic of Ireland - right or wrong?

PetPal

Is the term "Republic of Ireland" an official term? I don't think you would see it on an envelope (e.g. Dublin 8, Republic of Ireland), and I don't think I've ever referred to myself as coming from the Republic of Ireland. However, I'm not sure whether it's just not used very much or it's simply not a correct term to use. Does the Republic of Ireland exist officially? Anybody know?

Hi PetPal

To save you wading through all the rubbish in Letting Off Steam.

The official name of the state is Eire, or in English, Ireland.

Although, the constitution describes us as a republic, it is not part of our official name.

An extradition request which was addressed to the Republic of Ireland was rejected by the court as it did not use the proper name of the country.

These fascinating insights come from a radio lecture given by Ivana Bacik(?) on the legal basis of the Republic last Friday.

Brendan

To save you wasing through all the rubbish in Letting Off Steam.

:eek:

PetPal, it's always best to trust the [broken link removed]on these things, because they know everything (including where Osama's hiding):

Country name:
conventional long form: none
conventional short form: Ireland
local long form: none
local short form: Eire

Hi PetPal

To save you wasing through all the rubbish in Letting Off Steam.

The official name of the state is Eire, or in English, Ireland.

Although, the constitution describes us as a republic, it is not part of our official name.

An extradition request which was addressed to the Republic of Ireland was rejected by the court as it did not use the proper name of the country.

These fascinating insights come from a radio lecture given by Ivana Bacik(?) on the legal basis of the Republic last Friday.

Brendan
I thought that the FG government of the late 40's tryed to curry favour with republicans by pushing a bill through describing Ireland as a Republic, the Act had the effect of us breaking away from the Commonwealth. The British brought in the Ireland Act of 1949 as a result of this, accepting that we had left the Commonwealth, but that Ireland was not a 'foreign' country under British law, and that 'Republic of ireland' could be substituted for 'Eire' in the UK. As the Constitution supercedes an Act of the Dail, we are still officially known as Eire/Ireland. Dev only wanted the title Republic to be used once the island was unified, so chose Eire/Ireland for the Bunreacht in the 30's.

HI Clon

That is more accurate indeed. It was a FG Act which describes us as a Republic and not the constitution.

Brendan

Back