Replacing storage heaters in apartment

dcwinter

Hi

I'm fed up with the look of my ugly electric storage heaters and want to replace them with something more attractive. I really like the look of those old style radiators, you know the ones you see in those old manhattan apartments with the upright rows of pipes.

I saw the very ones I want in a bathroom shop in Dublin and they tell me that they can be adapted for electrical use. The drawing of the radiator with the electrical fitting looks a little bit ugly but I think the fitting could be hidden. Has anyone seen these radiators in use in Ireland with the electrical fitting on them who can tell me that they look good? The brand I've seen is called Bisque.

Would love to get some feedback before I invest.

Sounds like these might be oil filled electric convection heaters. If they have no storage heater capability then they will not benefit from being able to charge up overnight on cheaper night rate electricity. As such they will probably be much more expensive to run. You need to consider this issue before changing. Maybe you can just get more discreet, slimline storage heaters if the existing ones are too bulky? When do they date from? When replacing heaters make sure that the new ones are suitable for/capable of heating the living spaces in question.

The apartment is 10 years old. Its well insulated and never gets really cold as we're on a middle floor. There are only 2 storage heaters in the apartment and they're both in the living room. We only ever turn one of them on as it never gets cold enough. The only other thing we run on the night meter is the hot water as I wouldn't run a washing machine at night in the apartment block out of consideration to other residents. Surely, by eliminating the night meter standing charge we wouldn't be down that much on electricity bills and on the up side we would be able to control when our main heating came on (heating only on between November and March/April)?

There are only 2 storage heaters in the apartment and they're both in the living room. We only ever turn one of them on as it never gets cold enough.
You mean you turn on the storage heater or the secondary convection heater (assuming it's a dual storage and convection heater)?
Surely, by eliminating the night meter standing charge we wouldn't be down that much on electricity bills and on the up side we would be able to control when our main heating came on (heating only on between November and March/April)?
You'd need to crunch the numbers. If you don't need heaters most of the time then why not just get rid of the storage heaters altogether and maybe get a freestanding oil filled electric heater for sporadic use?

The drawing of the radiator with the electrical fitting looks a little bit ugly but I think the fitting could be hidden.

Unfortunately, that ugly looking box on the end houses the room thermostat mechanism and control so you can't hide it.

I wouldn't recommend getting rid of the nightsaver meter. The ESB will charge you €171.39 to change to single tariff, so it will take you almost three years to recoup the cost with the lower standing charge.

There's nothing to stop you using the night rate to heat the room with a Bisque radiator and have a top up during the evening.

Thanks Hoagy

Good idea about keeping the second meter but I'm none to pleased about the thermostat on the side of the radiator. Tell me, is it really very ugly? That would be a pity as the Bisque radiators are so funky and would really transform what is now a very dated looking apartment. Although built only 9-10 years ago I think it was dated the minute it was built.

Leave well alone. energy cost can only go upwards..

You will be able to select different storage heaters soon enough when the existing elements give out.

Later models are slimmer probably due to more efficient heat store blocks.

You are right Using washing machine or dishwasher while you are in bed is a very bad idea. Fire risk!

You will be able to select different storage heaters soon enough when the existing elements give out.
We've run ours over the winter for 12 years now and the elements have never failed. Is this longevity unusual?

We've run ours over the winter for 12 years now and the elements have never failed. Is this longevity unusual?

No.
Elements in slimline heaters generally only fail if the connection tails haven't been tightened properly.
Which would have happened by now in yours.

No.
Elements in slimline heaters generally only fail if the connection tails haven't been tightened properly.
Which would have happened by now in yours.
They're actually Unidare CS12 or CS18 models as far as I know (haven't been able to identify which model precisely) and are not exactly slimline but I guess the same principle applies regardless?

They're actually Unidare CS12 or CS18 models as far as I know (haven't been able to identify which model precisely) and are not exactly slimline but I guess the same principle applies regardless?

Oh yes, they're slimline.

98cm wide x 72cm high x 22cm deep is slimline?! Wouldn't like to see the non slimline models!