Replacing Horstmann E7 immersion timer switch

ClubMan

We have one of these http://www.horstmann.co.uk/water-heating.asp (Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz) (the 2 hour boost model - fourth one down on that page) controlling our Nightsaver two element (main and boost) immersion water heating for the past 12 years but I think it may be failing now. The Off Peak light is permanently lit except when the immersion heats up c. 4AM although I don't think that the immersion is actually using electricity when the light is on. Similarly the Boost light does not come on when the boost dial is turned except if the Off Peak light is off (c. 4AM). Very odd and I am assuming that it may be time to replace it. Anybody know if this just happens with these controls eventually? Can anybody recommend if I should just replace like with like (i.e. exactly the same unit) or if there is another suitable (two channel?) controller that would be suitable, where I might pick one up in Dublin (city centre or environs preferably) and how much it might cost? I've mentioned [broken link removed] elsewhere but I'm not sure if it is suitable as it does not seem to cater for the

I have the same unit and exactly the same happened to me
I was only able to heat the water with the 2hr boost so had to turn this on before going to bed and have semi warm water in the morning

got a quote from an electrician to supply and fit a new one for €160 !!!!

found one on ebay for about €30 and fitted myself was very easy and a lot cheaper

Thanks Manic - did your problem happen after a similar time period (10-12 years)?

The strange thing is that even though the lights are not lighting up at the right times I think the unit may still be operating correctly for night heating. In particular when the tank is heating up you can often hear noise c. 4-5AM and I have heard this recently. We certainly have hot water each day but I'm hoping now that the tank has not been heating all of the time except the night heating period!!! However unless I can pinpoint the problem and address it I will probably look at replacing the unit anyway just to be on the safe (and prudent!) side.

By the way - from reading the Horstmann bumpf it looks like when Boost is used the termostat on the boost element is set lower than the main one so it may not heat water as much as normally.

well my place is 12years old and I'm assuming the unit has been installed here from the beginning so maybe its a common problem with them

Basically when the unit was switched to on and the timer hit 4am the light would not go on and the water would not heat so I think it was the timer that was faulty

I would suggest doing what I did and buy a new one. you can take the front of it off and just replace that bit without having to go near the actual wiring

Thanks Manic. Never thought about the option of just replacing the front part without messing with the wiring! No "buy it now" units on eBay at the moment unfortunately. I'll try a few electrical wholesalers tomorrow and see if they have them and what they charge.

you need to buy the whole unit but the easiest way is just replace the front panel (2 screws) and then there are just a few plastic connectors to reconnect

I hate messing with any sort of electrical items and it worked fine for me

Sorry - I did understand you the first time alright. I didn't mean buying just the front unit and understand that you meant just using the front part from a new unit with the back part of the existing one. Thanks again for your comments. Much appreciated.

Seems that c. €100 including VAT is the going rate for these in the electrical wholesalers around Dublin. Checked a few prices and had a mate in the business check too in case I was getting an inflated retail price but he says that what I was being quoted is standard. I'll see if I can bag on one eBay in the meantime...

Thanks - I saw that one alright but serendipitously somebody this evening offered me a spare unit that they have for free which was very kind of them! :)

changed one yesterday cost 110 euro to buy charged 160 in total,this covers finding the problem sourcing the part and fitting it,two visits to the premises and all the driving round Dublin,can be cheaper if you do it yourself but a tradesman has to make a living.

Yes - getting a new unit for free from a kind boards.ie poster and fitting it myself will be a bit cheaper alright! :)

Yes - getting a new unit for free from a kind boards.ie poster and fitting it myself will be a bit cheaper alright! :)

ye fit it yourself mate it'll only take a few minutes
160euro is daylight robbery!

ye fit it yourself mate it'll only take a few minutes
160euro is daylight robbery!

How can you say €160 is daylight robbery?
As the man said he had to buy the unit for €110, so only charged €50 for fitting.
In my opinion this is an extremely good price for a skilled tradesman to call to your house and rectify a problem which may be beyond the capabilities of most people.
It makes me mad when people automatically adopt the opinion that a tradesman will always try to overcharge you!
Would you have the same opinion towards professional fees such as an architect or a doctor?

Just for the record - I don't think that €160 covering parts (€110) and labour/call-out etc. is robbery. But I'm just lucky that I am getting a unit for free and can sort it out myself.

Back