replacing bathroom sink, is it easy?

E

edelc

Ooo my first post, what a thrill,

So my bathroom sink was cracked and I cleverly dropped something on it so it now has a huge chunk broken out, I'm thinking sellotape wont work so it has to be replaced.

I cant see that it would be a big job but before I go launching in, is it something a fairly competent DIY-er could do,

which leads me to think about the barter economy, what would you think about a forum or website where you could post a need for a particular service and what you could do in return, for example I need a plumber-type person in Co Clare, but I am a wizz with a sewing machine and great in the kitchen so could trade goods or services, or has Ireland gone way past the need for that since we are all rolling in cash and tripping over the piles of money that we have lying around our many houses

edelc,

Welcome to AAM, your a virgin poster, you will find its a great website.

I think thats a great Idea, a bartering website.

I have to rush now but I will drop you aline soon about changing your sink, its fairly striaght forward, I am also assuming you want to keep your old taps?

Jaid

edelc,

1) Turn of both the cold and hot water feed (located in the hotpress)
2) Let both taps run dry, this will empty both cold water and hot water system ensuring you dont flood the place.
3) Remove pedestal (place in a safe location)
4) Undo both the hot and cold taps pipework under the sink(a little water will come out, notting to worry about)
5) Undo the waste (some times a bit unpleasant)
6) Remove screws that hold sink to the wall
7) Sink should come away from the wall(be careful, you might want somebody else to help you)
8) Take of old taps and put them on your new sink
9) Now just put everything back together
10) Turn on cold and hot water feed and let run until all the air is out.

On second toughts leave the pedestal in and remove it last (the sink remains more stable)

I have not went into to much detail about putting the sink back up as it should be very logical after taking the sink down.

Hope this helps, will you let me know how you get on?

Jaid

Jaid thank you so much for that,

i havent started yet, but will be picking up a sink today and I will have a go later this evening.

I will let you know how I get one, once I emerge from the world of plumbing fixtures!

Jaid thank you so much for that,

i havent started yet, but will be picking up a sink today and I will have a go later this evening.

I will let you know how I get one, once I emerge from the world of plumbing fixtures!

edelc,

I`m not a plumber, just a DIYer, so if I can do it you should have no problems, go luck.

You might also want to buy some flexi fittings to attach to the taps, just in case the sink you buy has diffrent tap positions.

Jaid