Replacing bath with shower - bad idea?

philips

Friends of mine have just bought a flat in Greenwich - lovely flat but bathroom needs updating. They are a young couple and would love to remove the bath altogether and replace with a fabulous walk-in shower. They are wondering though how this might affect the sale of the flat when they move on. Personally I think nowadays people (without children) would much prefer a fantastic shower to a bathtub. I would appreciate any opinions from posters that I could pass on to them......before they make a big mistake???

If they are thinking of moving on from the flat then I would think they are better off retaining a bath. I have three young kids and was looking at a house, but was put off by a number of things, including the fact that there was no bath. I am not sure that if it was the only thing we didn't like that it would have stopped us buying, but it was a consideration.

How many bedrooms does the flat have? Who would be the typical buyer in the area? If it's a one bedroom flat in an area where the typical buyers are young couples, then removing the bath could work in their favour. If it's a larger flat, with typical purchasers being couples looking to start a family, they should keep the bath.

Depends on property, I would have thought.

Anywhere that's likely to be bought by someone with children will almost certainly be easier to sell with a bath (see above).

Not necessarily the case with flat/apartment though.

My advice would be to talk to a local EA, who should know the local market.

It is a 2 bed flat in a large victorian house with a kitchen not big enough for a table. Also it is in a very expensive area. Whilst they were viewing they were overlapping with other young couples at viewings. So, the impression I get is that it is first time buyer couples without families.

Being a 2 bed, it could be young couples looking to start a family. I would suggest keeping the bath.

I would never have bought without a bath unless I loved the place and figured I could put one in. That's an opinion that has nothing to do with children, just personal preference, but don't know how common my stance is.

I agree with moneygrower, I would never buy a place without a bath. I rented a flat without a bath for a few years and I really really missed having one. Again it's just a personal preference, and nothing to do with children.

Thanks everyone for your opinions which I will pass on and hope it's not too late!!

Back