Replacing a Laptop Screen

skrooge

I have an old spare Dell laptop that which I don't really use but the screen has gone. I was told that it would cost about €900 to replace the screen. I got a second opinion and they said they could do it for €200. I was surprised by such a gap in the quotes. While I've replaced the laptop it seems a waste to have the old one sitting in the corner but obviously I don't want to spend a fortune on it. Has anyone else had an experience of replacing the screen? or does getting it fixed for €200/€900 seem about right?

I was told that it would cost about €900 to replace the screen. I got a second opinion and they said they could do it for €200.
Told by whom? Did the two quotes come from the same place? Did they explain the wide disparity? What is wrong with the screen - e.g. just not powering up or physically damaged/torn/cracked etc.? Have you considered checking eBay for broken laptops usable for spare parts and doing a DIY job? Obviously there are risk in taking that approach. In the meantime perhaps you can still use the laptop with an external monitor for example so it's not lying totally idle?

New screens for laptops do cost a lot but no where near €900.

I'd agree with Clubman on this one, if its an old laptop you dont use that much, have a browse on ebay and you might pick up one for spares and salvage a screen from that.. its not that hard to replace a screen if its broken. Probably take 20 mins if you have the instructions to hand and are anyway confident with computer hardware. I spent the best part of a year replacing 5-6 a week in a place I used to work in so if you have any problems, drop me a pm.

I.C

I'd echo what Irishchappie recomended.
I have just finised replacing the screen in my laptop after buying a replacement on ebay. The screen plus postage ended up costing around 70 euro so much less than what you've been quoted. I'd never done anything like it before but found it very simple.

Just make sure you get the right screen. I took my broken screen out so I could see the make and model number so I could make sure I got a compatible replcement.

good luck.

Back