Replacing a laptop screen

kirian

Hi all,

The screen on my laptop got cracked recently and I was thinking about replacing it my self.

I have a Sony VAIO PCG_XR1Z/BP (14.1" screen) and I found a 14.1" Sony VAIO PCG-GR114MK for sale on ebay. I was wondering if it will work with my laptop?

I was doing some serching on the internet and I think that although the size is the same the resolution is different. I think the resolution of mine is 1024x768 pixels (XGA) and the one for sale is 1400 x 1050 pixels (SXGA+). So the one on ebay is actually better. Is it posible to replace the screen in my laptop with this higher resolution screen? i.e. Will it work at all? If it will work at all I'm interested in buying it but if not I obviously don't want to waste my money.

thanks,
kirian

I doubt that the screen fitting/fixing would be compatible, your best bet is to get the same model & version, I've seen toshiba laptops both the same model number and looking externally the same, but try swapping the screen and you discover that the fittings are different.

Thanks rgfuller,

I suspect that your right. I'm finding it extremly difficult to find out any info of LCD screen compatibility. The IT Guru at work recommends the same thing, i.e. if replacing the screen get the same brand and model of screen.

The screen is an Hitachi TX36D85VC1CAB by the way. I've found it for sale for over $350 new, but that's more than I want to pay to replace it in an old laptop. Better to replace the laptop. So unless that screen comes up for sale at a cheap price on Ebay that laptop will just sit there. There are pleanty of 14.1" XGA screens going cheap so it's a pity I can't tell if they are compatible or not.

Thanks johndoe64,

That one didn't come up when I looked because it's not listed as shipping to Ireland I guess. I asked the seller a question there to see if they will ship to Ireland.

Last edited:
you could also ring the Sony Support line and ask them who does their out of warranty repairs and get a quote from them, I doubt it would be cheap but worth a shot as well.

If you can't/don't replace the laptop screen then you may still be able to use the laptop as a desktop replacement using an external monitor.

Back