replacement clutch for bora tdi?

positivenote

hi guys,
i've had my 02 bora tdi for close to a year now and have just been told i need a new clutch. When im pulling off the car basically scrapes and splutters untillits in gear and then it drives fine... i droped around to a friend who services it for me and he's claiming i need a new one. Does this sound like the correct synopsis? and if so how much would i be expecting to pay to get the job done as he says that he doesnt do them (he does all his car work in his spare time) and will i be without the car for a few days or is it okay to keep driving it untill the job can be done?
sorry theres about 5 questions in that post
thanks as always (theres 55k on the clock by the way)

If the clutch is not slipping too badly I would keep driving till the day you notice that the clutch is not gripping when trying to pull away in first gear at lights or traffic.

Sorry only saw the mileage there, at 55k miles your clutch should be grand, move freely when pressed, grip ok, are you hard on the clutch, meaning more accelarator than clutch when moving off.

i just went out to double check the car. I tried pulling off in 4th and it cut out after a few feet, so i presume the clutch hasnt gone yet. But when im pulling away in 1st, 2nd or reverse from a stationry position the car splutters along almost jerking untill its in gear... it feels like its about to cut out. Any ideas what it might be oposed to the clutch?? Because the last thing i want to happen is to pay for a new clutch and get it fitted only to find out it only needed tweaking in someway...
thanks