Replace water main pipe - cost

CrazyOne

Hi,
We recently moved house and found that the water pressure was really bad, the council came out and replaced the stop tap but said that the problem was the mains pipe going from the stop tap into the house as it is lead and fairly clogged. We are putting in a driveway so thought this would be the ideal time to have the pipe replaced - it's only about 20 feet from the house to the path - plumber has just been and quoted 4,000 euro to replace the pipe. Is this the norm - seems really expensive to me - any thoughts?
Thanks

I dont know answer to your question except that you should get a few quotes first. Dont base your final dicision on the price rather than recomendation though.

Hi,

For 4,000 euro I would expect him to put in your whole new driveway!

Can you get him to break down the costs. If he has to break the footpath to connect to the stopcock, he needs a special license and insurance etc or hires someone to do it. This could be easy be 3,000 of the costs. If so, then maybe run new pipe as far as you can in your property and then connect to the last few feet of the old pipe. If you find the pressure is still bad you could bite the bullet and get the last few feet replaced.

I think in the UK the council may pay some of the costs if the old pipe is lead. If could be worthwhile looking into the rules here.

Towger.

Get more quotes but get the job done; the lead is leached into the water and you will be drinking it. Not so bad, tho' bad enough, for adults but a definite health problem for children.