Repairing damaged blockwork on my house - Advice?

ACA

Our house is timber frame and 2 years old. Beside the front door we have a loose block, the original builder came back to repair it when the house was 6 months old. Apparently the blockie put this block in without using any mortar (too tight a fit!), as a result the plaster had cracked around it and it sounded hollow. Over the last 18 months his 'repair' has deteriorated to such an extent that the area looks just like it did originally!

We have tried to contact our builder with no joy - the company no longer exists! No other general contractor that I have contacted will touch it as they are worried about any comeback if settling this block unseats the ones around it!

My husband is quite handy and willing to sort it out but, we're not really sure what to do.

Can't paint my house until this is done as they crack will come thru, and despite having gorgeous outside lighting recently put in, the entrance is not as attractive as it could be - because of this block.

Any advice esp. from blockies/general contractors would be appreciated. Thanx Amanda.

could you take out the block, cut an inch off it using an angle grinder and put it back in using mortar this time. Then re-plaster and paint ?

Nai, I suppose the problem is we were looking for a 'quick fix'. A friend told me about this rubberised paint that covers any cracks and stops them from coming thru. And someone else suggested drilling a few holes and filling with expandable foam! Unfortunately husbands cement making skills are lacking, if I'm honest we were trying to avoid what you suggested if possible!!

In a timber frame house the exterior leaf of block or brickwork is esentially non loadbearing so there should be no real concern about making this repair once it is executed by a competent person who understands what is required. However this would probably need to be done with concrete and the render patched in. I wouldn't bother with trying to patch this in with fillers or sealants, this is the primary defence against moisture and driving rain and as it stands you have a weak link in your chain. Consult a competent builder and have the work done properly.

originally posted by Carpenter
Consult a competent builder and have the work done properly.
Is Carpenter just yr ID or is it also your trade? Know anybody who would be willing to take care of it for me??

originally posted by ACA
No other general contractor that I have contacted will touch it as they are worried about any comeback if settling this block unseats the ones around it!
Have tried to get qualified reputable person to repair the mess left by the other blockie - can't find anyone willing to take this on!

If all else fails perhaps it might be worthwhile getting a chartered engineer to inspect it and if you are covered by Homebond you could make a claim-that is if the engineer calls it as a "structural defect". Alternatively you may be able to claim the cost against your house insurance. As for your question- I cannot recommend a competent person to do this work, but a builder should be happy to do so once he has an instruction from an engineer. I can only assume this problem is somewhat more tricky than your opening post suggests? Like many of the building/ technical queries that are posted on AAM it can be extremely difficult at times to offer detailed solutions or constructive advice without having knowledge of the particular problem or without actual sight of the issue raised. A picture paints a thousand words. That said where it appears that you are having difficulty engaging the services of a builder to rectify (what appears to you to be) a simple problem it is probably best to get professional advice- this is afterall your (probably) most significant asset.

If all else fails perhaps it might be worthwhile getting a chartered engineer to inspect it
Never thought of that!
if you are covered by Homebond you could make a claim-that is if the engineer calls it as a "structural defect". Alternatively you may be able to claim the cost against your house insurance.
Or that either!!
Thanx very much for your advice - going to ring an engineer this morning and see how I get on. I'll keep you posted.

Back