Repairing a small crack in a bath

stobear

My mother has noticed a small crack at the bottom of the bath, it actually looks like a thumb print with a crack at the edge, its too small to determine if it is leaking but I would like to repair it before it gets any bigger. Whats the best DIY approach to repairing it'?

You would probably need to remove bath and patch the crack from the bottom with fiberglass - probably can get a fiberglass kit in a DIY shop.

Crack will still be visible but a least its not leaking.

gallantman

It may be just the coating chipped. I got a small kit in B&Q for patching baths etc. It is made by ronseal and you just paint it on. Obviously only if the bath isn't leaking.

lads, anyone else have any knowledge on this. Domestic accident this mornign with glass bottle dropped into bath and it has cracked the top surface of bath. its the standard new fibre glass ones. any quick fix solutions/advice/pointers in terms of a repair.
The alternative to install new bath means removing screen, ripping off row of tiles, old bath plumbed out, new bath plumber in, reseal, retile and screen door back up. this is obviously not so desirable....

There is an epoxy type/ fibre glass repair system especially for baths/ shower trays, we have used it in the past to repair minor scratches and chips that turn up on snag lists. Check out http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/bathrepairs.htm
for details of products available. I know the stuff we've used is available at hardware/ plumbers' merchants. If you google "bath repair" you'll find that there are a myriad range of products available and their use is almost routine on large schemes now because of accidental damage (so watch out when you're doing your snag list!!).