Repairing a roof

mangos

Hi

I hope someone can help me. I am currently having to repair a roof on my house and I have no idea what sort of questions I should ask the roofer. It was also mentioned to me that the roofer should be able to give a written guarantee for the new roof and also an Irish agrément cert. I have no idea what this means-can someone shed some light?

Many thanks
Mangos

Is it a big repair? If relevant, I would advise the roofer that you wish to reuse slates - I've had experience before of roofers supplying new slates/tiles and offering to 'dispose' of old ones. Really, they were just using them for other jobs.

Guarantee for the roof is fairly standard - not sure about the "agrément" though.

Have you committed to the roofer? It's just that like windows, quotes can vary significantly.

We need more information here really to give you a good answer:

Is the job a pitched roof (sloped) or flat? Is the repair just that or are you having your house re-roofed, in whole or part? Whether a pitched or flat roof your roofer should be able to show you a sample of the material he proposes to finish the job in: slate (natural or fibre cement), tile, roof membrane (modified bitumen torch on felt, rubber, pvc, asphalt etc). Ay roof material, including underlays (sarking felt etc) should have a current Irish Agrement Certificate stating that this product is suitable for use in this country and for the application proposed. Before employing any contractor to do any major work on your home ensure that they have adequate public liability and employers liability insurances in place to cover their activity. Ask for references of previous work completed and check these out. Never pay cash up front except where you may be asked to pay for some materials that are a special order; in this case ensure that the materials are in your name and delivered to your address. Never pay completely for the job until you are staified with the work and that it is complete. I'm not sure how much use a "written" guarantee is, unless it is underwritten by an insurance company. One last thing , never employ someone who cold calls on your door touting for work- professional tradespeople don't knock on doors for work, they don't need to.

Hi thanks for your response.

The roof is both pitched and has a small flat roof extension about 3m in length and width-the house is 1250sq m approx.

I need to have the joints/beams etc replaced and a new slate roof put on.

I have been given quotes between 12,000 to 17,000 including vat.

Is this reasonable?

Mangos

Not enough detail; you say: "joints/ beams" are being replace? So mean that some of the timber roof structure is being replaced also? You're roof must be in poor shape, if you are worried about the price being quoted you should seek an alternative quote from at least two other roofers and make an informed decision. There are too many variables to be able to give an honest opinion without knowing a lot more (how much carpentry is required, are valleys and flashings being replaced, are verges and ridge tiles to be pointed etc etc, are new fascia and soffit required).

Back